JavaScript

JavaScript

Does anyone knows a good tutorial for JavaScript as i want to write an importer for Cheetah which is capable of reading binary files.

Thank you!

Re: JavaScript

guido said:
Does anyone knows a good tutorial for JavaScript as i want to write an importer for Cheetah which is capable of reading binary files.

Hi,
the problem is that the Javascript API isn't finalized yet but I'm currently working on that. v2.5 will make a great progress in the Javascript area.

v2.5 will also offer at least some documentation (including the documentation of the "File" class).

What binary file format do you intend to load?

By,
Martin

ESRI Shape

Hi Martin,

due to the fact that i am working in the geoinformatics domain, i am working with ESRI shape files. This is the standard file format for exchanging 2D and 2.5D geospatial objects. They are seperated in at least 2 files. One is the *.shp file which holds the geometry (point or lines or polygons), each of those is bundled with a *.dbf (dBase III) file which stores the thematic attributes like name, area or whatever you want.

For my daily work I wrote a java tool which reads these shp-files and if there is a certain heigth information (absolute hight or number of floors) in the dbf file these polygons will be extruded. This allows a very fast but simple way of create 3d city-models.

Guido

P.S.: By the way, i am now working hard on learning all your modifiers and tools and wonder my self why i spent so much frustrating time with 3d max. It is a pitty that the mac is not used in our institute. Cheetah would be great for education purposes as we offer also lectures in geo-visualisation.

Hi Guido,
that sounds very interesting. I will do my best to finalize and document at least those classes which are needed to write such a file importer. Basically the "File" and the "Polygonobject" class.

By,
Martin

P.S. Thanks that you like Cheetah3D. :D

Back