Bug in the "multi-view" feature

Bug in the "multi-view" feature

I was playing with the new demo (Cheetah3D 2.4), trying to use the multi-view system. Spliting the window into two views could be very usefull to adjust the position of some big piece, if you don't see the little transformation arrows. Well, while I tried to use the transformation arrows in some view, Cheetah crashed. :(

Also, the multi-view is useless. Each time I click on a piece visible in a view (or selecting a piece in the object browser), the other view change instantaneously to the same view as the first one (the one I clicked in). What gives ?

This occured on a dual G5 2 GHz with 2.5 GB ram, ATI X850 XT video card. Tiger 10.4.2.

Re: Bug in the "multi-view" feature

Hi,
sorry for the bug.

Kali said:
I was playing with the new demo (Cheetah3D 2.4), trying to use the multi-view system. Spliting the window into two views could be very usefull to adjust the position of some big piece, if you don't see the little transformation arrows. Well, while I tried to use the transformation arrows in some view, Cheetah crashed. :(

Please send me the crashlog via email. You can find it at:
~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Cheetah3D.crash.log

That helps really alot. Many thanks in advance.

I general please send bug reports directly to me via email.

Kali said:
Also, the multi-view is useless. Each time I click on a piece visible in a view (or selecting a piece in the object browser), the other view change instantaneously to the same view as the first one (the one I clicked in). What gives ?

Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean. Please more details.

By,
Martin

Martin,

what I mean is this (a bit hard to explain, especially since English isn't my first language). I set up two views : the window is splited in two parts, left and right. At left, it's a general view of the scene. At right, I have a close up on some part. Then I select a piece by clicking on it, in one of the views (say, in the left one). Well, just clicking the piece instantaneously change the view of the second windowed part. I now ends with two exactly similar views ! This isn't supposed to happen.

I should be able to select the piece in the left part WITHOUT affecting the second view. The views are supposed to be independant, aren't ? That's the whole point of a multi-view system. Apparently, it doesn't work that way and I suppose it's a bug in Cheetah, or maybe it's my %$#@*& buggy video card drivers !?

Hi Kali,
no that is not a bug. That is expected behaviour. If you set the projection type to "Camera" (the menu above each 3D view) the view displays what the camera objects sees. Since there is only one camera object active in a scene you see four time the same scene if the use the "Camera" porjection type.

To get independent views you have ot choose the "Perspective" projection type for the other views. See the attached screenshot.

By,
Martin

P.S. And please don't forget to email me the crash.log. Otherwise it is almost impossible to fix the crashing bug.

Attachments

• cheetah3dschnappschuss001_968.jpg
    cheetah3dschnappschuss001_968.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 664
Hahaaa ! Now I understand ! Thanks a lot Martin, it's perfectly clear and I'm a lame fool ! :D

About the crashing log, well, I trashed it by removing all my library :(

I was trying to solve my other video card problems by removing parts of my library, with the help of some Apple technician. We finally concluded that the card problems are really drivers related and I have to wait for Apple's 10.4.3 update.

The crashing bug happened just once, and appears to be hard to reproduce. I'll let you know if I can reproduce it.

Back