Problem with sketchup import

Problem with sketchup import

Hello everyone again , i am having trouble importing a sketchup design it is a comtempory design with large glazed areas i have lost the glazed areas and some of the external framing and all of the internal it does not seem to have imported any of the internal frame behind the glass any help please . james ps the file is rather large to post or send because we are still on 56k conection . :cry:

Hi,
what format did you use? FBX or 3DS?
Are the objects only invisisble in the 3D OpenGL preview or also in the renderer? Did the objects appear in the object browser?

In OpenGL solid objects must be drawn first to get correct results when the transparent object will be composed over the background. Cheetah3D draws the objects in the order of the objects browser. So moving transparent objects to the end of the list in the object browser might help.

By,
Martin

import problem

thanks martin the impport is 3ds in the object browser i only get the model nothing else so no drop down box showing any of the meterials but in the add meterial list they all appear to be there but do not show on the model . james :? do i need to create some kind of folder .

Hi,
does the materials don't work at all or just the transparent ones? Normally the materials should should appear in the tag list on the right side of the objects in the object browser.
You don't have to create any kind of folder.

I've already asekd another SketchUP user from whom I know that he did alot of SkectUP model renderings. Maybe he knows more.

By,
Martin

P.S. Are you still using Cheetah3D 2.2? Because since 2.2 quite some bugs have been fixed.

Attachments

• cheetah3dschnappschuss001_613.jpg
    cheetah3dschnappschuss001_613.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,217
I've had similar problems, but these settings give me the best results so far. I'm still experimenting so I will post more when I have a better answer for you.

Attachments

• settings_691.jpg
    settings_691.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,243
Martin and jake

i am using the latest sketchup5 and i think i have used the settings you suggested jake also another smaller model which i have done appears to be the same on import in that nothing ecept the model appears in the object browser at least though that model did come in complete although with my larger model it still refuses to import correctly.sorry martin i made a mistake the version of cheetah that i am using is 2.3.2 thanks james.

Hi Jeff,
thanks for your help. Scince I don't own SketchUp it is quite problematic for me to help out on that problem.
Did .3ds files exported by SketchUP 4.x work better? Could you possibly mail me a file which causes problems? And how does the .fbx export work? I think that could be another option to move data from SketchUp to Cheetah3D.

By,
Martin

Martin, I did a side by side of 4 and 5 after I talked to you the other day and I couldn't see a big difference with the settings above. Some of the .3ds export settings in SketchUp produce awful results.

What I can do is export with different .3ds options and I'll include these settings with the corresponding file. It seems that the option of export as material works better that the export by geometry setting.

I'll try the .fbx export too. Tazio. If you want to send me a SketchUp file I'll be glad to give it a try and see if I can figure out the problem.

peer said:
Martin, you can download an 8-hour trial version

Hi,
wow I thought that was a typo. But it is indeed 8-hours. :eek:

But thanks for the tip. I didn't know that there is a trial version. I will try it soon.

I don't know what "export as material" actually does but it sounds like the right setting scince Cheetah3D can only handel 16 different materials per mesh. So you might run out of materials on some scenes. If the objects are grouped by materials you only need one material per mesh which shouldn't be a problem.

So if anybody has a .3ds file created by SketchUp which doesn't show up correctly please mail it to me. Maybe with a screenshot, so that I can see how it should look like.

By,
Martin

Back