Attachments

• Page_2.jpg
    Page_2.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 5,343
  • Page_3.jpg
    Page_3.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 5,324
Hello everybody!!

I have been using cheetah3D for about 3 days now, I am starting to get the hang of the program. Heres a quick render from your tutorial, which was great by the way. I used the example HDRI image, Cheetah3D, and Line Form to make the path.

Render.jpg

Did you use Comic life to make the tutorial? It looks awesome.

Are there other files you can use besides SVG?

I'm curious if I can use something from Photoshop elements to import into Cheetah... If not, are there any good programs out there for the mac that would do this, that you know of?
Thanks... I'm new here...
dan
PS - just ordered the beginners DVD

svg is really a pretty nice format, since it's an "open standard" and most drawing programs support it. The problem with Photoshop Elements is that it is, at bottom, a bitmap editing program, which makes it more relevant to textures (etc.) than mathematically precise curves.

Frank has listed a bunch of fairly cheap programs which all do a great job producing clean curves for use in C3D.

If you prefer "free" to "cheap" there's inkscape.

Hi.
The main difference between svg and pdf is that pdfs come in as "one whole thing" while svgs show up every path as a single spline unless one is combining some as one in the svg editor.
So svg is the more advanced file format related to 3d modelling.

Is there another format that Cheetah would also use besides SVG?
There´s a help file coming with Cheetah3d one can reach via the main menu. The chapter "Adobe Illustrator to Cheetah3D" would have given the answer.

Last edited:
Just a minor aside -- actually PDF is by far the more advanced ... well complex ... format. You can put fully editable components into PDFs if you want to, but most PDFs are reduced to a minimal size for final delivery.

PDF is analogous to QuickTime -- it's designed to be all things to all people
SVG is analogous to Motion JPEG -- it's designed for authoring

Most PDFs are stored in a way that's analogous to MPEG -- a piece of crap that's as small as possible and not intended to be edited by the end user.

Perhaps a better analogy would be PDF to PNG. PNG is fully capable of supporting layers, objects, compositing information, etc. (basically anything Photoshop supports), but most PNGs are "flattened" into a single layer with everything mushed together.

Great tutorial! I used Flash to draw a spline which I converted in AI to a .svg file and imported into Cheetah. The problem I have is it comes in as seperate splines and I couldn't figure out how to make 1 spline in Cheetah - I read the help and searched the forum did I miss something?

Thanks.

Diagnosis: the problem probably lies with drawing in Flash, which has a bizarre internal representation of spline objects (by default a shape comprises a stroke -- i.e. spline with border and no fill -- split up into segments, and an interior -- i.e. spline with fill and no border. You can verify this yourself by clicking on parts of a rectangle after drawing it in Flash -- you've just made FIVE objects).

Summary: Flash is just horrible. Don't draw stuff in it.

Solution:

A) Redraw your spline in Illustrator as a single piece.

or

B) Use the hollowed arrow tool in Illustrator to select pairs of vertices in your spline (i.e. where two segments meet) and then command-j or join them together (you'll be asked if you want a corner or tangent, pick the appropriate choice). This will let you sew your bits and bobs into a single spline.

Diagnosis: the problem probably lies with drawing in Flash, which has a bizarre internal representation of spline objects (by default a shape comprises a stroke -- i.e. spline with border and no fill -- split up into segments, and an interior -- i.e. spline with fill and no border. You can verify this yourself by clicking on parts of a rectangle after drawing it in Flash -- you've just made FIVE objects).

Summary: Flash is just horrible. Don't draw stuff in it.

Solution:

A) Redraw your spline in Illustrator as a single piece.

or

B) Use the hollowed arrow tool in Illustrator to select pairs of vertices in your spline (i.e. where two segments meet) and then command-j or join them together (you'll be asked if you want a corner or tangent, pick the appropriate choice). This will let you sew your bits and bobs into a single spline.

You are the pod, Pod. I know I bought Flash for something...now what was that?

Thanks!

grettings & happy new year to all

any good user of cheetah 3d that would be kind enough to make me a chrome logo?! :)

any good deed goes for a good purpose!

thank u!

Back