Displacement Tutorial WANTED....

Displacement Tutorial WANTED....

Hi there.
I just downloaded the demo of the Cheetah 3D and I am very impressed with the whole program. It is very simple to learn, and quite easy to use.

I have one question though... DISPLACEMENT MAPS?

I have some knowledge how to create them through my work as a package designer, and I have also used them in both Photoshop and Strata... I tried it in Cheetah, but not with very good results.

I understand that the whole idea is to apply subdivision, and I do so but with very weak results. (see image) It seems to me that I need to apply many instances of subdivision to get the required results.... and the program crashes after I add like the 3rd or 4th.

So my squestion is this... Can someone post a good and simple Tutorial on how to acomplish this in Cheetah 3D? I would realy like to use this software to create 3D mockup of packaging for my clients.

Oh... and Martin... GREAT JOB MAN! Two Tumbs Up... Way up!

Attachments

• displace_test.jpg
    displace_test.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 888
Displacement maps virtually move the object's vertices on their normal axis.
Hence you need a fine polygon raster to ge fine displacement results.

For finer but less high reliefs you might want to use bump maps.
They simulate a bumped surface without actually moving vertices.
Hence their quality doesn't depend on the polygon count.

Odd how Cheetah crashes at 3 or 4 sub-divs. I can get to 6 on my G5 with 1.5 gig. What set up are you running?

Anyway this is how I might do it for a box, although for a shallow relief you are probably better off with a bump map. Hope it is of some help.

displace.jpg

Thanks guys... I'm going to play with this a bit and then I will post my results. Don't stay up waiting... this may take a while.

Back