Scalpel Tool -- Cutting a Hole in a Face

Scalpel Tool -- Cutting a Hole in a Face

Tutorial answering question posed in general.

Attachments

• Page_1.jpg
    Page_1.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 3,982
No, it IMPLIES that you use the scalpel tool but it doesn't actually SAY it.

You could just as easily Ring Cut the mesh or something similar.

No, it IMPLIES that you use the scalpel tool but it doesn't actually SAY it.

You could just as easily Ring Cut the mesh or something similar.

Apart from the title it doesn't mention the scalpel tool at all so implication is all we're left with. You could ring cut but then you're adding additional polygons you don't need.

How do I make the Extrusion into a hole?

Thank you for the nice tutorial. After the last step, I got a nice round black cylinder as shown in the attachment. How do I make it into a hole?

Thanks!

Jerry

Attachments

• holePerspective.png
    holePerspective.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 2,958
  • holeFront.png
    holeFront.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 2,935
Hi Jerry and welcome.
Either you can pull the selected/extruded polygon into your object, or if you want a hole that´s going through the box, make sure you make the same steps (at the same time) on the front&back side of the box. After the last call of Cattmull Clark delete he polygons and use the bridge tool to build a channel from front to back.

With kindest regards
Frank

Attachments

• Channel.png
    Channel.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 2,989
Either you can pull the selected/extruded polygon into your object, or if you want a hole that´s going through the box, make sure you make the same steps (at the same time) on the front&back side of the box.

Whoa. I'm not that smart yet. I did not know how to "pull", so I started over and did this...

1. Objects ► Polygon ► Box
2. Adjust to desired thickness, but the plane containing the hole must remain square if you want a round hole.
3. Objects ► Make Editable
4. Switch to Polygon Mode
5. Selection Tool
6. Select a face (turns pink)
7. Tools ► Inner Extrude
Click on face. Extrusion appears
8. Click on face again and again to make smaller extrusions, until you get the size you want. Remember that Catmull-Clark will make it smaller still.
Question 1. Is there a more precise way to do that? What if I need a hole that is exactly a certain size?
9. Tools ► Catmull-Clark Subdivide, several times.
10. Tools ► Extrude. Drag left until it goes all the way through.
Question 2. Is there a more precise way to do that. When you get to the end it quickly turns different colors and I'm not sure where to stop with the mouse.
11. Change to polygon mode.
Change view to look at the bottom of the hole, which is black.
12. Use the Select Tool and select it.
13. Hit the 'delete' key. The hole turns from black to gray, and now you see the lines between the Catmull-Clark subdivisions which were not there before.
14. Click on one of the subdivisions, and drag over the remainder so they all become selected (turn pink).
15. Hit the 'delete' key again. Now, the hole is all clear.

Question 3. I'd like to understand what this "extrusion" is. It does not show in the object browser. What, exactly, is it? Apparently it is actually two things: The thing(s) that got deleted when I hit the 'delete' key the first time, and the thing(s) that got deleted when I hit the 'delete' key the second time. What are these things?

After the last call of Cattmull Clark delete he polygons and use the bridge tool to build a channel from front to back.

It looks like this is not necessary with the method I used. I believe the purpose of this step is to build an inner wall around the hole, but that seems to be already present.

The attachments here show the results up to step 10.

Attachments

• hole04.png
    hole04.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 2,947
  • hole05.png
    hole05.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 2,887
Last edited:
Hi Jerry.
Can I send you a small video on this, maybe 2 or 3 MB of weight?
I don´t think I can compress it small enough to be accepted by the forum´s software.

With kindest regards
Frank

Edit: if I read correctly you mixed up 2 things. Going for a complete hole, make sure to delete the tesselated polygons on the front and back side. Now use the "bridge tool" by clicking/selecting 1 point of the edge around the hole on the back and 1 (opposite) point of the edge around the hole on the front side-voilá - there should now apear the pipe.

Last edited:
Final Result

The following attachments show the final result after completing steps 11-15.

Can anyone answer the questions 1-3 in my previous message?

Thanks for the help,

Jerry

Attachments

• hole07.png
    hole07.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 793
  • hole06.png
    hole06.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 788
Hi Jerry.
Can I send you a small video on this, maybe 2 or 3 MB of weight?
I don´t think I can compress it small enough to be accepted by the forum´s software.

Sorry, Frank. Looks like I missed this reply because I didn't notice that the thread had continued onto page 2. But, yes, please send the video. 2-3 MB will probably make it through email if that's what you want to do.

Jerry

Back