Transform Tool-2

Transform Tool-2

The live readouts from the Ruler tool got me thinking...

How about live readouts from the transform tool, like modo does?

You rotate on an axis -- the rotation arc is swept out and the exact reading given right there on screen...drag on a transform hadle...you get the idea..it's agreat little feature.

Also, modo's Transform hadles have a little 'circle' handle -- dragging on the appropriate one constrains movement to the XY, YZ & ZX planes while in 3D perspective view.

For the ultimate -- Form*Z for years has had a little command-line which is populated with each thing as you do it live and lets you type into the fields and/or live manipulate as you go... So you can start rotating an object, fine tune any or all the angles with keyboard and continue manipulating manually.

Ah Form*Z -- so powerful and yet so expensive. (Goes surfing to find out how much it would cost to upgrade my license... has heart attack.) Oh well, never mind.

form•Z -- ah, the horror. I used to be sold that this was thebest modelling app in the whole world...it can't even do subdivision surfaces properly. ACIS is fine for CAD/CAM, but that's it.

One thing that is nice that it has, though, is the little checkbox on value fields -- say ScaleX, Y, Z - click it and the first value you entered is copied to the other two fields. Great little timesaver...not worth £2200, though.

Form*Z predates subdiv modeling. I look at screenshots of version 6 (I have version 2.9.something) and I don't see where it's improved. Oh well. They don't seem to have "got" the whole subdiv revolution. It's pretty sad when their gallery shows an architectural render with hard raytraced shadows that is literally BEGGING for soft shadows.

Back