Manipulatorless Transforming?

Manipulatorless Transforming?

I'm pretty sure this is, at this point, impossible, but just hoping. Many times, especially when using "tweak" mode, the manipulator definitely gets in the way and I end up, when trying to "tweak translate" a point, edge or polygon, inadvertantly switching from translate mode to rotate mode. I actually like Blender's original concept of manipulatorless transforms, where scale, translate and rotate all take place in the plane of the screen and by means of a single key shortcut. Could such an option be made available without too much recoding?

Thanks,

Greg Smith

Another option is Silo's which puts the manipulator at the bottom-left of the viewport as well as on the selection.

Shouldn't this be in wishlist? :)

I'm pretty sure this is, at this point, impossible, but just hoping. Many times, especially when using "tweak" mode, the manipulator definitely gets in the way and I end up, when trying to "tweak translate" a point, edge or polygon, inadvertantly switching from translate mode to rotate mode. I actually like Blender's original concept of manipulatorless transforms, where scale, translate and rotate all take place in the plane of the screen and by means of a single key shortcut. Could such an option be made available without too much recoding?

Thanks,

Greg Smith

I personally like the Cheetah approach, where I can attach hotkeys to scale, rotate, transform, select and have a visual widget. However, I appreciate others may not share this view so Greg why not put this on the wish list.

Hi,
I've thought about such a feature by myself. To allow the user to switch of the display of some handles. But I probably won't allow a total disable of all widgets since I think that would be a big step backward. All big Pro 3D apps I know work with a similar 3D widget approach like Cheetah3D. And consistency between the big 3D apps is something I consider as important for Cheetah3D.

Bye,
Martin

P.S. I've moved your thread to the wish list.

Martin, is there a way to move/rotate the manipulator without modifying the actual object? Sometimes the manipulator is off the screen, which is kinda annoying.

Hi,
sorry but no. The transform gadget of point/edge/polygon selections is always in the middle of the selection. And in object mode the gadget is at the origin of the local coordinate system.

Bye,
Martin

Back