Finger rigging orientation?

Human fingers or three toed sloth?
Please elaborate.

ThreeToeRig.jpg

Attachments

• ThreeToeRig jas.zip
    25.4 KB · Views: 103
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean, but of course it's best if you model in the T-pose and the orientation of the finger bones is the same as that of the docment.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-03-15 um 11.52.27.png

If that doesn't fit, the results can often be quite scary. :eek:

Bildschirmfoto 2023-03-15 um 11.53.40.png

what are the green circles in your first image?
These are controllers that I have built in. They make it easier to animate and to keyframe. The joints to be animated are connected to the respective spline with a parent constraint tag.

Nice model of a hand.
The hand is of a MakeHuman character. But perhaps a few more tips on that:
If I'm too lazy to rig myself, I just export a MakeHuman character and adapt the skeleton to my own character. With MH you can export different skeletons, with more or less bones. What I have found is that it works best if you export with the orientation "global". But then it is important to export the character in the T-pose, otherwise that happens with the fingers, what you can see on picture 2. With the other orientations, the problem was always that my joints with IK handles jumped when animating (I don't know what you call this problem, but it is terribly annoying). It was so bad that I animated my second short film completely without IK handles. Phew, I never want to do that again....

And check out some of Zoohead's earlier post. He posted quite a bit on the subject of rigs and controllers, without which I probably couldn't have done it in the beginning.

* I fully agree with Lydia. MakeHuman is an efficient and effective shortcut to generate primary drafts for humanoid characters. The GUI is quite simplish, yet a fair bit of fine- tuning can be achieved to create females / males of a rough age group and variable physiognomies and bodily characteristics.
:unsure: AFAIK, you (ie, @uncle808us ) work primarily with cartoonish characters, so this tool may not fit your work flow. Other C3D users may want to experiment with it.

:sick: There are some differences between Homo Simpson and Homo Sapiens...

As far as the Orient Joint command, it's great to have the ability to align the
Transform Tool to a Bone but if a rig is built correctly there's usually no need for it.

That's why I don't use the Joint Tool, instead I use the Joint Object in the Scene Objects menu.
A bone is made up of two Joints defined by hierarchy and their positions in 3D space.

I always create my first Bone horizontally or vertically an then ROTATE IT into place.
You can then make the Bone longer or shorter before you add the next Joint to make the next bone.
Then you rotate that Bone into place and so on, that way everything stays properly
oriented with only a few exceptions.

The question of which orientation to use within the Orient Joint tool panel I can't
answer because the choices have me confused. So It's trial and error for me there.

If I'm too lazy to rig myself, I just export a MakeHuman character and adapt the skeleton to my own character. With MH you can export different skeletons, with more or less bones. What I have found is that it works best if you export with the orientation "global". But then it is important to export the character in the T-pose, otherwise that happens with the fingers, what you can see on picture 2. With the other orientations, the problem was always that my joints with IK handles jumped when animating (I don't know what you call this problem, but it is terribly annoying). It was so bad that I animated my second short film completely without IK handles. Phew, I never want to do that again....

And check out some of Zoohead's earlier post. He posted quite a bit on the subject of rigs and controllers, without which I probably couldn't have done it in the beginning.
Yes Zoo's tutorials are all very useful he has a unique way of seeing things. As for MH I have used it for years.but not for this as Helmut says I do work mostly with Toonish characters. So it is rare that I use a MH figure. MH and C3d get along nicely.
You have been very helpful with your posts and I appreciate it.
In future I will keep in mind this skeletal info about MH thanks.

Yes Zoo's tutorials are all very useful he has a unique way of seeing things. As for MH I have used it for years.but not for this as Helmut says I do work mostly with Toonish characters. So it is rare that I use a MH figure. MH and C3d get along nicely.
You have been very helpful with your posts and I appreciate it.
In future I will keep in mind this skeletal info about MH thanks.
* I fully agree with Lydia. MakeHuman is an efficient and effective shortcut to generate primary drafts for humanoid characters. The GUI is quite simplish, yet a fair bit of fine- tuning can be achieved to create females / males of a rough age group and variable physiognomies and bodily characteristics.
:unsure: AFAIK, you (ie, @uncle808us ) work primarily with cartoonish characters, so this tool may not fit your work flow. Other C3D users may want to experiment with it.

:sick: There are some differences between Homo Simpson and Homo Sapiens...
Thanks Helmut

As far as the Orient Joint command, it's great to have the ability to align the
Transform Tool to a Bone but if a rig is built correctly there's usually no need for it.

That's why I don't use the Joint Tool, instead I use the Joint Object in the Scene Objects menu.
A bone is made up of two Joints defined by hierarchy and their positions in 3D space.

I always create my first Bone horizontally or vertically an then ROTATE IT into place.
You can then make the Bone longer or shorter before you add the next Joint to make the next bone.
Then you rotate that Bone into place and so on, that way everything stays properly
oriented with only a few exceptions.

The question of which orientation to use within the Orient Joint tool panel I can't
answer because the choices have me confused. So It's trial and error for me there.
I still have not mastered the use of the Joint Tool. as to the Orient Joint Tool the setting are confusing. I have tried to figure them out but XYZ ZXY YZX ???o_O

Oh, I'm so glad you both feel the same way. I thought I was the only one who is totally confused by this Orient Joint tool. 😆😵 I never use that either. If a joint isn't aligned properly I just turn the pivot point to make it fit.

I know your characters, uncle808us. I just thought it is easier to use an existing skeleton than to build a new one, especially if it's more substantial, i.e. with 10 fingers, etc. It's much quicker to adapt it to another character, so just move the joints into the right place or delete bones that you don't need. And the joints are already named. This also makes a lot of work if you have a lot of bones and I find it a bit annoying.

And one more thing I thought of about the controllers that you might not expect, or you might - I don't know: you can also bind a skeleton with things in it, so with all the tags, or sometimes I have controllers or other things within the skeleton hierarchy. You can leave all that and use the whole structure with controllers for another character. (Which makes it additionally easier to adapt it.) And it's advisable to always set pose tags immediately for each controller, at least for the basic pose, so you can always go back quickly, but also to save other poses like a walk cycle.

I guess I didn't read the Cheetah Help file for the Orient Joint Tool :sleep:

Excerpt from Help:
Without Second Axis: If the Second axis property of the orient joint tool is set to None the new orientation is solely determined by the Orientation property and the two bones between which the joint is. The Orientation specifies in which directions the local rotation axes point. Hereby the first axis always point along the bone leaving the joint. The third axis is pointing sideways to the two bones and the second axis is perpendicular to the first and the second axis.

For example if you chose a YXZ orientation. Then the first axis is the Y (YXZ). It will point along the bone. The third axis is the Z (YXZ) which points sideways to the bones. Finally the second axis the X (YXZ) which is perpendicular to the first (Y) and the third (Z) axis.

With Second Axis: If the Second axis property is anything else then None then local rotation axes are orientated slightly different. In this case the first axis still points along the bone. But the second axis points along the axis chosen with the Second axis property and the third axis is perpendicular to the first and the second axis.
Check out the Help file for more info that makes it a little less confusing.

:mad: Yes, indeed! I only discovered fairly late that a skeletal hierarchy can contain "non-jointy" objects. This allows quite interesting options when designing the structure and kinetics of complex entities in a scene.
:sick: As usual, a bit of heavy duty brainstorming and counter-intuitive imagination is required.
:devilish: As also usual, once you tweak your mind to queer ideas, this is great creative fun...

Here's an example of a non jointy object placed as a child of a Bone.

I have employed IK handles with Target Objects for the fingers,
and used forward kinematics for the palm articulation and wrist.

I also utilized the Pose Tag to capture only three "poses" and then I keyframed those poses.
Big Tip: You only need to put the Pose Tag on the top bone and it will even
capture the position of the Target Objects if they are in the bone hierarchy.

For character rigging I made a custom layout to accommodate long names and hierarchy.

riglayout.gif

Attachments

• ThreeToeRig build jas.zip
    46.9 KB · Views: 105
Notice all the keyframed objects are marked with a green Layer
color so I don't miss any of them when changing things.

Back