Recursive Reflections

Recursive Reflections
* I am modelling a scene based on Shakespeare´s play Hamlet, Specifically, I comment / falsify / transform his soliloquy facing the skull of Yorrick, the dead court jester of his slain father (act 3, scene 1).
* A fair bit of trickery with variable transparency / animated reflectivity / mods to the render tags / post processing produces satisfactory results.

* However, I run against the proverbial brick wall in my attempts to model a recursive reflection.
* Currently, I have a scene where Hamlet holds a transparent globe which contains Yorrick´s skull. As transparency is reduced and reflectivity is incremented, we see him holding a sphere wich reflects himself.

:whistle: So far, so good.
* I now want to implement a loop (3 levels should suffice), where I can show a reflection of the reflection (of the reflection, of the reflection, ...). I could then zoom in on this infinite recursion to imply a circularity of time and existential musings on "to be or not to be".
:sick: Sorry about this quirky query, but I have been frustrated for 2 weeks looking for useful methods and ideas. There may be a mental block or some conceptual blindness...

* Unimportant: There is a secondary reflection in the rear - used in later takes - and a blurred image of Elsinore Castle in the background. The current Kronborg Castle looks totally different, but it was built much later.

T2.2 YorrickBack dark.jpg

T2.2 YorrickBack Skull.jpg

T2.2 YorrickBack Reflection.jpg

Hi Helmut, in order to get infinite reflections you'll have to put the object and the cam between two parallel mirrors.
With one of the mirrors being a sphere things will start to get tricky, the sphere being transparent actually mixing refraction and reflection will make things much worse.
A spherical mirror will diminish the reflection and the overlay of two motives (refr.+refl.) will likely make both unrecognizable as in your first image.

Anyways, here is a simple setup (already showing the problems):

screenshot.jpg Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• infirefl.jas.zip
    17.6 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
* Thank you, misoversaturated.
* This, of course, does make sense.
:sick: As you imply, non-planar mirrors (spherical and concave) and reflective / transparent materials add a bit of trickkkery to implementing the concept. However, spacetime is distorted by any lumps of gravity, so this must be possible with a bit of clear analysis of the topologies involved and some proper geometric thinking on my side.

* Thank you for your clarification. Very constructive!

* After quite a few experiments:
* Recursive reflection functions without a problem. The method opens a whole palette of creative options which I will investigate in detail. Ignoring the exponential leap in rendering times, this is a useful special tool for more complicated compositions and advanced trickery.

* Once more, thank you for the hint, @misoversaturated!

T2.2 YorrickLoop copy1.jpg

T2.2 YorrickLoop1 copy.jpg

Back