Use EasyFind to search the Cheetah 3D manual

For Mac users who would like to be able to perform a thorough, flexible search of the English Cheetah 3D user manual, here's a suggestion. This assumes that your instance of the Cheetah 3D app is in your macOS Applications folder. If you keep it somewhere else, adjust the instructions accordingly.

Install and launch EasyFind from Devon Technologies.

Press ⌘⇧G while Finder is active.

Paste "/Applications/Cheetah3D.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/Cheetah3Dmanual" (no quotes) into the Go window's text field and press enter or return.

Switch back to EasyFind, keeping the Cheetah3Dmanual window in front in Finder.

Choose "Active Finder Window" from EasyFind's Location: pop-up menu. Set options in the Search for: area of the EasyFind's window, enter search terms, then press enter or return. Here's my example EasyFind window:

Find %22render%22 in Cheetah 3D's manual.png

Last edited:
Hi, I also own a copy of EasyFind and think it's great but I compared your 'render' search with C3D's built in Help menu search and the results were the same but faster with fewer steps. I fail to see an advantage in regards of utilizing search terms via EasyFind instead of Cheetah3D's Help menu search plus C3D's Help menu search also displays descriptions below the discovered terms unlike EasyFind's results in this use case.

What am I missing, are you suggesting using EasyFind if your macOS isn't localized in English but another language & region so you're using EasyFind instead of the language keyboard switcher built into macOS system settings (that can also be revealed in the top menu bar for quicker language switching access)?
C3D_HelpSearch_Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 10.52.33 PM.jpg

Thanks, I’m glad that method is working for you. It doesn’t work well for me.
On my end in C3D7&8 when I select its Help menu -> Cheetah3D Help the Help menu window opens behind C3D's project window; so I click on the minimize button (upper left corner middle window button) to access C3D's table of contents and its search input field.
Decided to share this typical behavior in the thread just in case anyone else attempted to reveal it but noticed it didn't overlap in front of their project window and assumed the feature didn't work (the Help menu automatically closes upon quitting C3D however it doesn't require a project window to be open in order to reveal it).

Your memory is better than mine. I often find myself with many browser windows open for the manual in another desktop.

hello,

Stricktly for what it is worth… The default behavior of the MacOS help viewer used by applications is to keep the help viewer windows in front of all other application windows. Terminal can be used to change this behavior, by setting the true or false of helpviewer DevMode. There are utilities that will manipulate this setting for those not comfortable with Terminal. It wouldn’t be surprising if some applications have included this skill in their application preferences.

SO, if one finds that the help viewer is being hidden behind the other application windows-in any application-this strongly suggests that deliberate steps were taken to make this happen.

Again, for what it is worth…

cheers,
gsb

Reactions: CpH
Hi, I also own a copy of EasyFind and think it's great but I compared your 'render' search with C3D's built in Help menu search and the results were the same but faster with fewer steps. I fail to see an advantage in regards of utilizing search terms via EasyFind instead of Cheetah3D's Help menu search plus C3D's Help menu search also displays descriptions below the discovered terms unlike EasyFind's results in this use case.

What am I missing, are you suggesting using EasyFind if your macOS isn't localized in English but another language & region so you're using EasyFind instead of the language keyboard switcher built into macOS system settings (that can also be revealed in the top menu bar for quicker language switching access)?
View attachment 38960
Wish I could find a copy to print.

Back