iPad Version

Cheetah 3D for iPad (+ pencil).

It's 12 years since the iPad launched. Today it has competitive performance with laptops. Meanwhile Cheetah 3d has languished.

I think porting C3D to iPad makes sense.

- There's still no really good conventional 3D modeling option (there's a lot of MoI-like stuff, but it's both expensive and kind of hard to use).
- There's no real danger of Blender suddenly sucking the air out of the room
- Apple is about to go all-in on XR and tools that let people quickly put together content for XR will suddenly be popular
- There's far more opportunity to make money on an ongoing basis (upgrades, etc.)

Personally, I'd lean hard into Metal/SceneKit which is getting close to supporting near photo-realistic output in realtime.

And make rendering into a subscription service…

Cheetah 3D for iPad (+ pencil).

It's 12 years since the iPad launched. Today it has competitive performance with laptops. Meanwhile Cheetah 3d has languished.

I think porting C3D to iPad makes sense.

- There's still no really good conventional 3D modeling option (there's a lot of MoI-like stuff, but it's both expensive and kind of hard to use).
- There's no real danger of Blender suddenly sucking the air out of the room
- Apple is about to go all-in on XR and tools that let people quickly put together content for XR will suddenly be popular
- There's far more opportunity to make money on an ongoing basis (upgrades, etc.)

Personally, I'd lean hard into Metal/SceneKit which is getting close to supporting near photo-realistic output in realtime.

And make rendering into a subscription service…
iPad version + more updates on Cheetah3d are welcome & would be great, however I’m very happy & greatly appreciative of what’s on offer now

Martin and Uwe should both think about an insiders program to bring in some more revenue to pay for more engineers and coders. Maybe offer a goodies package with a T-shirt stickers mouse mat and memory stick drive, I’d love a cheetah3d memory card with the leopard and others gecko & piggy embossed

or just plain go fund me, I’m sure loyal users would happily join a program to help further the software in areas that benefit them

+1 for offering promotions to bring in extra revenue. I would gladly pay for expanding cheetah 3D's capability and especially porting it over to other platforms. But a one man show isn't going to be able to do this.

Let’s say 50 + dedicated cheetah 3D owner/users fund an iPad port for early access to get the show going?? that could possibly work also

I’d be one of the contributors to help push things forward, but will say again I’m quite satisfied with Cheetah at the moment

I’d suggest making a universal version (single code base). 3D apps tend not to be super reliant on platform UI widgets (maybe that will change with XR). Right now the best 3D modeling tool on iPad is probably a web app…

the iPad screen is very small for the complex ui.
about XR, i worked in meta quest 3 vr/mr with a bigger screen remote from mac book (until battery get low after few hours),
all you need is a trackable bt keyboard & mouse.
maybe its possible to compile a version of cheetah for Apple Vision Pro with minimum effort.
creating a scene by hand tracking would result in a new product.

iPads go up to 13” and can mirror onto giant 4K TVs. The size of the screen is also affected by how close it is and you tend to work closer to an iPad than a laptop.

Most importantly, Vision OS is built on iPad OS so supporting both is pretty easy if you’re going to support one.

iPads go up to 13” and can mirror onto giant 4K TVs. The size of the screen is also affected by how close it is and you tend to work closer to an iPad than a laptop.

Most importantly, Vision OS is built on iPad OS so supporting both is pretty easy if you’re going to support one.
Primary you sell software for an iPad not 4k TV, and iPad is made for touch input. No mouse and on screen Keyboard.

Back