Twist a spline-based ribbon?

I extruded a spline to essentially create a ribbon type of object. Is there any way I can now twist the ribbon shape along the spline's axis? I see that transforming points on the spline has no effect, so I'm wondering if there's another option.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 3.50.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 3.50.24 PM.png
    223.4 KB · Views: 112
Thanks Frank, the above looks like a great option for me, but I'm having hard time understanding how it was assembled. Can I apply rotation to one point of the spline path or only the sweep as a whole?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 10.35.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 10.35.27 AM.png
    317.5 KB · Views: 100
* Depending on the geometry required, you can also use a loft with multiple (curvi)linear generators. That way it is quite simple to generate bends, twists, rotations, counterrotations, loops or whatever.

Screenshot 2022-08-21 at 08.08.46.png

Frank's first example is a sweep (vs. your initial post which is an extrude with a subdiv modifier applied).

A sweep takes a cross-section and runs it along a curve, which gives you much more control over the end-result than the extrude option does.

A loft (the final suggestion) takes a series of cross-sections and joins them.

On the whole I'd take Frank's suggestion and apply local twist modifiers (per Zoohead) unless you're trying to animate the result. If you're trying to animate the result, it becomes a question of the dynamic effect you're trying to achieve and all bets are off. In the end you'd probably end up creating the thing as a mesh by hook or by crook and then cheating like mad to get the animation to work.

Back