Spline Loft Sculpture

Yes, tolarances of a few 0.Xcm are only important when I am doing the teeth for the joining of the 3mm hdf plates, a difference of 0,2mm is the difference of loose or dont fit. But that, I will do in illustrator and I have to talk about that with the cutting service. If the whole sculpture is 291cm or 289cm is not a big problem. 291cm is just the result of the measurment of a picture of the original painting, if the overall painting is really 400cm. The time I stand in front of the original I didnt had a folding rule with me... I could spoken to the museum where it is presented, but a few mm or even cm difference are ok, it's important the the uv of the element fit in itself to build that element.

At the end, it should stand in front of the painting, thats why it should be the same lenght as the original.

Gerald

Edit:
If only one element is to big, like 2-3cm, it would change the relation to the other elements, and that would be seen clearly... but other than that...

Edit2: Another thing is the mechanical aspect, one of the verticals, where all of the horizontals a mounted will be a little bit thicker, but it will be clearly the thinniest of the three vertical elements... it should be a little bit thicker to have to possibility to strengthen it from the inside with some carbon rods... but that I have to test when its stand in front of me...

Last edited:
Reactions: gsb
Edit2: Another thing is the mechanical aspect, one of the verticals, where all of the horizontals a mounted will be a little bit thicker, but it will be clearly the thinniest of the three vertical elements... it should be a little bit thicker to have to possibility to strengthen it from the inside with some carbon rods... but that I have to test when its stand in front of me...
Now that I scaled the model and splines to close to 2.91, I can measure off the splines.
I get a thickness of .0225, which would be 2.25cm. What should I increase it to?

Isn’t that a far tighter tolerance than a fine cabinetmaker could achieve?
Well - my Japanese hand saws have a blade thickness of 0.2mm and a set of 0.05 - so the result is a 0.3mm wide cut. But I admit alone an increase in temperature or humidity and an elongation of only 0.1% can mean an increase of 20mm on a 2m long workpiece, but depends on the material used. CNC has even smaller tolerances.

Well - my Japanese hand saws have a blade thickness of 0.2mm and a set of 0.05 - so the result is a 0.3mm wide cut. But I admit alone an increase in temperature or humidity and an elongation of only 0.1% can mean an increase of 20mm on a 2m long workpiece, but depends on the material used. CNC has even smaller tolerances.
That is a thin blade indeed and a narrow kerf!

What do you figure the accuracy is of using that blade to cut a piece of wood to length or perhaps cutting a dovetail?

thanks and cheers,
gsb

Not for dovetails - but for curvy thin slots curved and angled for the thickness of a postcard:
CardHolder.jpg

Now that I scaled the model and splines to close to 2.91, I can measure off the splines.
I get a thickness of .0225, which would be 2.25cm. What should I increase it to?
Ah ok, 2.25cm should be enough, I was thinking about a minimal thickness of 1.60cm. :)

Ah ok, 2.25cm should be enough, I was thinking about a minimal thickness of 1.60cm. :)
Very good, I will continue with Element 2.

Once I get the proper UVs for it, I will load both into Cheetah and see if I can match scale.
If that works out the relative scale of all PDFs will be the same.

Here I've imported both PDFs, removed the outer spline that was the PDF's document borders.
I merged the splines and added them to a Polyplane Creator. Unfortunately that will make all trigons.
To make all polygons four sided, I'll use the Insert Point Tool and then Weld that point into a corner.
Tedious work, doing that for every panel, but easy to do.

Polyplane.jpg

Never thought, ok, I was afraid of, that involes so different workflows and tests to get the result! Strong mind you have. :)

Never thought, ok, I was afraid of, that involes so different workflows and tests to get the result! Strong mind you have. :)
No, I just have a lot of free time.

To find the best procedure I have to do the same job
over and over always trying to think of alternatives.

I already have the next idea in mind...

I was originally going to scale the polygons themselves but instead
I can get better accuracy by repining and snapping in the UV window.

I'm going to avoid the Polyplane problem by making all the
elements into one object so I can unwrap them all at once.

Otherwise I'm pining and snapping twice.

It looks good so far anyway.

Combo UVs.jpg

Next I'm going to make a separate tutorial for unwrapping and pinning.
I have merged Elements 1 and 2 into one object.

They are unconnected and should stay that way, so I have to remember
not to use the Optimize command or they may weld together in places.

unwrap_intro.gif

Before I make the unwrapping tutorial I wanted to talk about Boolean operations.
I want to take Element 1 and subtract Element 2 from it. Sounds simple but it's
way more complicated than it seems. And because of that it can be quirky as heck.

I've done the Boolean operation on these models a number of times, and because
of the slight differences in the models each time, the behavior is different.

Boolean failure is an interesting topic as it doesn't happen the same way all the time.
Sometimes everything disappears, and if you make it editable, you have nothing.

Sometimes one or both objects normals flip and appear black.

In this case Element 1 normals are flipped, but on
closer inspection the subtraction was successful.

Using the Group Select Tool set to Creases, clicking once on the
'flipped" object selects all of Element 1 so it can be deleted.

I'll go into a few more things you can do to make a problematic Boolean like this behave.

Boolean Level 1 Fail.jpg

No - Spline direction - which you can change by "Spline: Reverse Sequence". It´s not necessarily displaying like this - but I can provoke it:
SplineSequenceOrder.png

No splines here, this is all polygons.
This is a Boolean thing I'm trying to explain.
I guess I didn't do it so well.

Back