Steel Heart

I have no words to describe the courage of the people in
the steel plant, in the midst of such horrible destruction.

Steel Heart.jpg

I like these forms. I admire you for getting something abstract and beautiful out of your feelings of such a horrible reality and that war in general. When I try to do it, something dark and gloomy is the result, nothing anybody would describe as pleasing in any way.

If I strip away the atrocities and only look at the pure strength of spirit, I can see something beautiful.
We have plenty of news coverage showing the bad stuff, and that is heavily edited for prime time.

As an EMT and member of a rescue group for years, I was allowed to see unedited
footage of violent acts, not suitable for public viewing that I'll never forget.

If I strip away the atrocities and only look at the pure strength of spirit, I can see something beautiful.
We have plenty of news coverage showing the bad stuff, and that is heavily edited for prime time.

As an EMT and member of a rescue group for years, I was allowed to see unedited
footage of violent acts, not suitable for public viewing that I'll never forget.

I do not mean a depiction of the stuff actually happening or pictures of war in general that would come to my mind, no gore, no violence or destruction. That would be pointless on top and in a way a trivialization of the things that are happening. No, I meant "dark and gloomy" in another way, something that transports the feelings i have ... I once had a picture of a cloud (photographed, but darker than it was in reality, some changed colors, a bit more contrast). Some people looked at it and just got depressive. Everything that comes to my mind in connection to all the things actually happening are somewhat in that vein (and with "things happening" I really mean a lot more than the war. Right at the moment I'd be very taxed to create something "pleasing" to the eye).

I do not envy you of your memories (every one has some that are not suited for tv at any time, but not on that level).

To be honest this project was pure playing and learning until I had to choose materials and
because of all the coverage of the suffering I chose the blue and yellow of the Ukrainian flag.

Back