Newbie questions, transforming object, exporting single face of object

Vielen Dank, ich werd die kommenden Tagen alles noch ordnen/sortieren und mich dann nochmal melden, soweit siet das Ergebnis schon ganz gut aus, ich muss auch noch ein geschwungenes Element erzeugen, das habe ich noch nicht probiert... ;) Grüße

Upps.. sorry for posting in German...

* For non-orthogonal objects there are a few methods available:
1 Use a modifier, eg Bend, Bulge, etc, iclusive the Wrap mentioned by Frank B in #22
2 Base your model on a spline and a cross-section
3 Deploy the Java script which "fits" an existing mesh onto a spline

* Not surprisingly, these different methods have pros and cons.

Screenshot 2022-05-11 at 18.25.54.png

Hi,
so, I tried to form one of the not-straight elements, but I had no luck. I tried the modifiers you mentioned, but the first problem is to fix all four points to the edges... another thing is, the deformation is not symmetrical. I attached a screenshot the one element, two sides are already build and ready, the other to should be formed like the green line. Do you have any tips? That would be great!! ah.. and the thing should be closed on the front and back, so there another deformed plane should be placed.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-13 um 16.29.05.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-13 um 16.29.05.png
    225.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-13 um 16.44.22.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-13 um 16.44.22.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 123
So many possibilities:
A. You can grab the Loft-Creator and throw in the 2 arcs
B. You can use Extrude on 1 arc plus adding a taper modifier to that hierachy
C. use 2 separate Polyplane-Creator on the arcs - make both editable - flip the polygons of the arc in the background and use Polygon->Bridge to generate the depth.
D. Sweep-Creator can also be used - I stop for now
Let´s see if there´s something you can work with
Otherwise uploading an example file is always good practise.
I attached an example file of what I´m talking about:

Attachments

• 2arcs.jas.zip
    17.7 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Remember you can't bend a single polygon.

Here's how I might make that shape, if I'm seeing it right.

Start with a box with multiple sections along the Y axis.
Add a Bend Modifier set to Unconstrained and then a Taper Modifier.

Attachments

• Bend and Taper jas.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 109
I´m under the impression the arcs have the same "thickness" - so the taper-modifier will change that. If it needs to be precisely I guess you have to built first 2 Polyplanes - merge+bridge them.

Ok, I just made a new file with only the schwung part, maybe it's interesting, if someone thinks it can be done quickly I also can pay you for your work to do it... I opened you examples, they look good, but I dont know how you do it, but I did not have to time to look into it more deeply...

Thanks

Attachments

• schwung3.zip
    19.6 KB · Views: 116
Hi Frank,
the square must not be modeled, it is just there because I cant delete it (it was for aligning the curves, therefore I had to merge the curves with the square so I could rotate it). I have done everything very complicated, I think. :)

The curved elements should be connected with straight lines, and not curvy like in your work, even that looks nice. :)

Here a screenshot of the already finished sculpture.... ok, the first step. It's streched in one dimension, lots of fun play with that, that was my intension... very cool with a 3d program.

Thanks
Gerald

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-13 um 19.16.35.pngBildschirmfoto 2022-05-13 um 19.22.31.png

* To get straight transitions between the cross sections you need to fiddle the UV sections.
* In my simple example I have 3 cross sections, thus 2 "hops" of the loft gives a straight / linear transition in between.
* In any case, Frank B has beat me by 5 minutes.

Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 20.06.25.png

I used the Loft Modifier with some of your splines, reversed
sequence of spline segments to untwist and flip Normals.

Set the spline Approximation Angles to 1.0.

Then double click to make the object editable and use the Bridge Tool,
clicking one point on one side and then the corresponding point on the other.

schwungloft.gif

Attachments

• schwung3test2 jas.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 112
I added more splines, you should be able to copy and paste this in place.
Let's see if this works for you, It is very quick and easy to do.

schwung element.jpg

Attachments

• schwung element jas.zip
    18 KB · Views: 113
wow, that‘s so cool of you guys, I am sorry not to try or learn everything, I only have time to work on it a few hours a week. Unfortunately I really have to learn to read or rebuild your works because today I found the modifier button the first time…:)

@ZooHead I still have to paste it in my file, but I think thats perfect, only the fine, thinner element is missing, and it will cut through the bigger schwung, i hope that will be no problem. here you can see the thin element again:

Again, really overwelmed about that forum, thanks @frank beckmann @ZooHead @Helmut

The thinner element is no problem but joining the two is not working as I feared.

Are you still going to try and build this from wood panels?

schwung element 02.jpg

Attachments

• schwung element 02 jas.zip
    19 KB · Views: 114
Back