Lathe a spoon

I've newb-pieced things together to mostly make the spoon I want, but I'd like to start from scratch so that I can eliminate the problems, undesirable aspects of the contour, etc. Is there a tutorial that takes me through what I need to be able to do that kind of lathing, shaping? Oh, I didn't make the scoop, I grabbed that from a 3D printing site and changed proportions. Thanks.

Hello,

One of the pieces of information missing that would really help you get help here is a photograph of a real spoon that you are hoping to recreate.

Clearly it is easy to have one's own idea of what you may be after.

Without a reference photograph, and given _my_ interpretation of what you are after (a spoon _handle_ of a different material such as bone or plastic), I'd start with:

An eight sided capsule the length and roughly the diameter of the "handle".

Make it editable.

Add a subdivision modifier with the default of 2 iterations and Catmull-Clark scheme.

Add/remove/scale ring cuts along the length to create the desired profile., using a minimum of ring cuts.

Play with the number of iterations of the subdiv modifier until the acceptable smoothness is achieved.

Good luck!

Cheers,
gsb

Just as a proof of concept:
View attachment 38357
As I said I´d prefer subdivision modeling something like this.
This is how I'd like to start. I've had no success with loft create. Here's my goal, an actual photo. Can you provide the procedure, please? Simple as you prefer, and I'll ask questions. Thanks.

Attachments

• spoon.png
    spoon.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 118
Hello,

One of the pieces of information missing that would really help you get help here is a photograph of a real spoon that you are hoping to recreate.

Clearly it is easy to have one's own idea of what you may be after.

Without a reference photograph, and given _my_ interpretation of what you are after (a spoon _handle_ of a different material such as bone or plastic), I'd start with:

An eight sided capsule the length and roughly the diameter of the "handle".

Make it editable.

Add a subdivision modifier with the default of 2 iterations and Catmull-Clark scheme.

Add/remove/scale ring cuts along the length to create the desired profile., using a minimum of ring cuts.

Play with the number of iterations of the subdiv modifier until the acceptable smoothness is achieved.

Good luck!
Thanks! I'll spend time on this, too. I've included the photo in previous reply to Frank.

And I thought I bring up another "weirdo":
Thanks for all of these, Frank. Every one will help me. That model in my original post is actually adequate, functionally. The product will be for 3D printing. It's still just for fun and self improvement, but I've never tried very hard to take the extra steps needed for aesthetic refinement, and I want to. I've been able to develop a few useful fabrications (Lid Lasso, Netshoe, etc), even as a novice 3D designer. I'm still hoping to make the leap.

Just as a proof of concept
One thing that might be useful to others is that I discovered that the Cheetah3DManual.pdf I had been using had no mention of "loft", but the one provided with C3D 7.5.1 (which, as I already reported, I can now launch from the Help menu in Monterey 12.3.1) does. That html hierarchy exists in ".../Cheetah3D.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/Cheetah3Dmanual". (So now I know why I was having trouble with "loft".)

Last edited:
Cadlet,

Yes, thanks for posting the photo. That certainly helps. My interpretation of your request for help was certainly wrong. With the title "Lathe a spoon", it seemed to me that you were looking to make a better way to make the handle for the spoon (scoop) in your image in your first post. That handle seems to have a round cross section of various diameters.

Choosing the right 3D tools to re-create a real object is sometimes a subjective choice, but is usually informed by how the real object was made. The handle of the spoon in your photo does not seem to have a round cross section. It appears to have “flat" backside due to the way it is sitting on the black keys. But rather than actually being flat, it is likely the inside shell of the frontside curved shape.

It would seem that Frank and Charless are trying to point you in a better direction. No splines. No lofting. No lathes. Build your spoon and handle by modifying existing simple geometry.

Have fun!

cheers,
gsb

Here's how you can use two spoon pictures with two Blueprint Objects to copy an existing spoon.
Thanks. As a matter of fact, I had already started to dabble with the blueprint object. Because I'm doing the photos myself, it's taking a little time, but it is working.

Thanks. As a matter of fact, I had already started to dabble with the blueprint object. Because I'm doing the photos myself, it's taking a little time, but it is working.
That's what I did as well, but I have a dedicated photo
setup just for this type of thing and I've gotten pretty fast.

I make my images square PNGs for the Blueprint Object so I can have a transparent background.
That's why my blueprint images don't look square.

I used a Spherify Modifier to shape the bowl.

Myspoon.jpg

That's what I did as well, but I have a dedicated photo
setup just for this type of thing and I've gotten pretty fast.

I make my images square PNGs for the Blueprint Object so I can have a transparent background.
That's why my blueprint images don't look square.

Brilliant!

I find it time saving, however keeping the edges on the symmetry axis sometimes eats up the time savings.
There is a really simple method for the handle:
Handle.gif

I find it time saving, however keeping the edges on the symmetry axis sometimes eats up the time savings.
There is a really simple method for the handle:
Yes, I think I had that one, but I fail with the tools needed to translate to a bowl, or to join to whatever will be the source for the bowl. I can do the bend and/or taper for customizing the neck, mostly. I've been revisiting tutorials, so that's why I haven't shared more progress.

I've tried purchasing some tutorials, and I only mention it because I think I feel pretty close to the way Sally Field's character felt after she bought jokes at the start of Punchline (1988, Columbia Pictures). Some jokes never get old, I guess. Anyway, I'd be eager to see what primitive you started with and the settings for Spherify that you used to create the bowl (scoop) of that spoon. Thanks.

Back