Blender and Cheetah

For those of you that use C3D with Blender, do you think these specs on my iMac will run Blender smoothly?
I have a 2020 iMac running 11.6.1 with an AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8GB, 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, and 32 GB of memory.

I asked on Blender, but the silence was deafening. I know they aren't manhy Mac folks over there.
Thanks!
Bob

In my experience Blender runs smoothly on MacOS.
If you plan to utilize AMD graphics for GPU-rendering with Cycles-X you need to install Monterey 12.3 which just introduced an AMD-Metal backend for Blender 3.1.
I don't have a Mac with AMD card and cannot tell how well this works, apparently it needs optimizing, see here.
GPU-rendering with Cycles and LuxCore works well on my MacBook M1 MacOS 12.2 and Blender 3.1/3.0.

Sadly there has been no improvement to the Falcon renderer since C3Dv7.3 in 2018, let alone a Metal version that runs on the AMDs or M1 Pro/Max/Ultra GPUs that Apple provides. But Blender recently got support from several Apple software engineers leaving indie software like Cheetah3D far behind.

Does it mater that my iMac is not an M1?

It gets a bit confusing since under Graphics/Display on my iMac it says Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily macOS 2, which I haven't seen anywhere.

Besides the ARM-version of Blender 3.1 which introduced Metal for M1 with OS 12.2 there's also the older Intel version which runs Metal (only AMD) since 12.3.
This should work with your iMac, just choose the right one when downloading.

I'm using blender most of the time for 3D ( while waiting for cheetah update for GPU rendering) on iMac 2019 CPU i5-9600K with Pro 580X. I can say that you can do your 3D works more than word SMOOTH. AMD gpu can render Cycles 1080p 4096 sampling surprisingly fast if comparing to CPU rendering. That almost got my iMac burnt lol . (Used before blender update) Now I don't have any worries for working my 3d works with my iMac. And I believe that you would be happy with you iMac2020 too.

Blender and C3D both have the advantage pf having been developed for much slower computers than we have today. Blender ran fine on my pentium 4 PC and my Titanium Powerbook G4. C3D ran fine on my gen 1 Intel Mac Pro.

Back