Endless loop animation

VeryMerry

I'm trying to make endless loop animation, specifically rotation. Does any one have any trick/tip/advice how to accomplish it?
I'm animating earth and ring around it

* In the Takes Panel you can duplicate and merge.
* Clearly, in any post processing app (iMovie, DaVinci, etc) you can multiply and repeat clips ad infinitum.

When looping 360 remember the last frame, at frame 360, is the same as
frame 1 so trim it in Cheetah or other graphics program like PS.

I'm not sure your level of experience so I'll go through some basic stuff.
Record a Keyframe at 0 degrees rotation, move the timeline
ahead a little and rotate the object to 360 and keyframe again.

Now you can move the keyframes around to wherever
you want to get the speed and duration you need.

I know what you're asking, but that function doesn't currently exist. If it's just rotation, like a propeller spinning while the plane is flying, take a calculator and make a math problem out of it: Rotation as rpm divided by 60 multiplied by the take-length in seconds, for example.

Thank you all for your input. My big plan is to make simple loop rotation and import it in apple motion to add other info. Yes, the simplest solution would be what frank beckmann said - function that would just rotate the globe and ring. i guess i will have to do the math ;)

I do turntables (same thing, looping) by figuring the duration of the loop in frames. Then divide 360 by the number of frames to get the degrees per. Keyframe the first fame at zero, but for the last frame subtract the degrees per frame from 360 and key frame that. It might work out to 354 or 356, something like that. Render out the sequence and the last frame should wrap around smoothly to the first frame.

* Maths?
* Does it not suffice to delete the last .png frame in the relevant folder, assuming that a 360° animation has been recorded? That last frame should be identical to the first frame and any loop should work correctly.

I do turntables (same thing, looping) by figuring the duration of the loop in frames. Then divide 360 by the number of frames to get the degrees per. Keyframe the first fame at zero, but for the last frame subtract the degrees per frame from 360 and key frame that. It might work out to 354 or 356, something like that. Render out the sequence and the last frame should wrap around smoothly to the first frame.
Thank you for providing eqution description :)

* Maths?
* Does it not suffice to delete the last .png frame in the relevant folder, assuming that a 360° animation has been recorded? That last frame should be identical to the first frame and any loop should work correctly.
Yes, that would work, just have to accept the duration for the single, removed frame.

* Well, neither Julius Caesar nor Pope Gregory managed a clean math solution for this problem. Having a year of duration 365.2422 renders this impossible without introducing leapy intervals every now and then. Probably a bug introduced by the original provider of celestial hard- and software.
* Fine-tunung the angular momentum or the orbital velocity of our planet or any celestial bubble is not so trivial...

:unsure: Of course, my suggestion only works in the absence of any additional objects (moons, planets, Alpha Proxima, etc) being visible in the C3D model proposed by @VeryMerry.

Last edited:
When looping 360 remember the last frame, at frame 360, is the same as
frame 1 so trim it in Cheetah or other graphics program like PS.
Probably stop at frame 359 (or delete Frame 360), or it will look like a little hiccup with two identical frames in a row.

Back