Tricks to opening an .STL file

I was given an .STL file to add to an existing project. I tried uploading it, but I suspect, at 241mb, it's too large. This file can be opened by my client in a basic PC 3D app, but I am not able to see anything when I open it. Am I missing anything obvious?

Much appreciated,
Dave

The stl file is anchored to the lower left corner, so pull the camera
back and look to the right and above the world center.

Wow - that sounds like a complex file. Maybe go Preferences->Files->".stl" and disable "Remesh". Fingers crossed.
That worked! I am mocking up a large grave stone with an angel statue. I was sent the statue, which is extremely elaborate. I appreciate your help!

Thanks for all your help!

I was able to open the file and work with it. The file came from an actual 3D scan of a statue. My machine was struggling with it a bit.

May I ask how many polygons are in a 241MB stl file? Just out of curiosity.
I am not that versed in Cheetah. How can I count the polygons an object? When I click on it, it appears as a solid orange object, meaning the polygons are so small they appear to be infinite.

I gather is is a rather large file. I am on an iMac I use for video editing, with a 2TB flash drive, and it struggles more with this file than a two hour video.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 10.08.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-07 at 10.08.55 AM.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 118
Back