Box modeled cars

Zoohead has done a lot of helpful tutorials related to car modeling. I referred to them as I worked through the process. I’m not prepared to do a tutorial at this point, but I’ll mention a few ideas:

1) I prefer to box-model a car with subdivision to get smooth compound curves, plus bevels on edges, and sweeps with curved splines. I try to keep the mesh as simple as possible, with all quad polys or minimal triangles or “poles.” Booleans for tricky details. (I might use all triangles for something like a geodesic dome or a Voronois structure.)

2) The C3D measuring system units are non-specific, but the default cube is considered to be one meter on each edge in the context of the Dynamics, so that’s a reasonable rule of thumb. To box model a complex car with tiny details, start with a larger initial “box” because the Optimize tool can weld together close vertices that are meant to be separate and distinct.

3) Per Zoohead, I try to keep an object’s Subdivide Modifier or Symmetry Creator as long as possible to fine-tune it. Subdivision can be turned on and off to tweak it. Likewise, the half-model needs to be temporarily removed from the Symmetry Creator to work on the polygons. Sometimes I collapse the symmetry to work on a detail, then Area Select one half of the model, delete the othet half, and add a new Symmetry Creator.

4) Body gaps are technical. I like to radius the corners, indent the seam, and bevel the edges. For a good-enough concept version of a complex model it might not be worth the trouble.

5) Hiroto’s script, PolygonToSpline.js, is essential for deriving a spline from an object’s selected edges. The spline is used as the path for sweeps, like for molding around a window or chrome trim.

6) Every time I add a significant new part or detail, I save a new file, and keep them in a dedicated folder in chronological order. The file name describes what was changed. Sometimes I use Get Info to change the file’s icon. Also, I use the folder’s Show View Options to set Icon View for about 128 X 128. I make so many mistakes it’s important to be able to go back to a previous file to re-do something.

7) Over time I have assigned a keyboard shortcut to almost every key.

c3d_keys.png

If you like these, some previous models:

Retro-Future Pod

1990s Concept Car

Parade Bicycle

Most of the time cars are still patch modeled; not many tutorials around for doing it with box modeling. So if you feel halfway confident, such a tutorial or even some speed-up modeling video would be interesting.

Back