The OLOID (WIP)

I'm trying to build this stupid little thing from wood and thought it would be nice to have Cheetah3d's company, since I need projected circles for the marking part, for example.
I'll start more from the back because I'm quite delighted with how nicely the OLOID runs in simulation.
The OLOID.gif
The golden OLOID.gif

Last edited:
:poop: Bums! This tuns out to be unexpectedly tricky.
:rolleyes: Anti-oloids / oloid strips are trivial lofts, but I get nowhere with the 3D solids.
:sick: Of course, constructing this out of two 240° circular segments and a stack of twisted quads should work, but there must be a more elegant method.

Screenshot 2022-02-08 at 19.02.21.png

Oloid_structure.svg.png

It´s actually quite banal to build and it just needs 1 quarter and 2 symmetry modifier:
The OLOID.gif

The real object, however, is a completely different story:
WoodenOloid.jpeg

* A loft on two 120° arches (plus 2 symmetries) works quite well.
* This has the advantage that a third circular sector can be interpolated to achieve distortions (pillow & barrel effects) of the oloid.
* Interesting experiments which may be useful for some future project. Thank you, Frank, for tickling our C3D creativity.

Screenshot 2022-02-09 at 07.57.19.png

Yes had tried the same but wasn´t too excited about the concave curvature looking along the long axis, mostly because I have no idea how it will turn out on the workbench. (No vise to hold this piece in place) Maybe it will just turn out naturally.

Curvature.jpg
Oloidfrom120°circles.gif

* Maybe you can 3D print some locking gadgets to be fitted into the vise (US) / vice (UK) for tooling? Basically, just a cubic lump with a negative oloid "mould" where the WIP can be fixed securely for progressive fine-tuning.

:unsure: Another option are shops for model trains. They often sell tools for the associated tricky detailing work. You may want to look at the websites of Dremel or Proxxon.

I have an stl file from thingyverse and Dremel+Proxxon in my toolset as all needed Festool-tools. Will see how it goes with belt sander and rasps and sandpaper - because it´s going to be made of (exotic) wood. So 3d print is cheating even when I could paint it to look like wood. ;)

These are certainly the most expensive but also the most durable power tools that I have treated myself 3 decades ago when the company was still called Festo before it went across the Atlantic.

Ok - here are a few pictures from the beginning. Everything rasped away so far:
StartTheOloid.jpg

OloidWood.jpg

The wood is some rare exotic afrormosia I bought some decades ago, quite dense and hard (density: 650 kg/m3), difficult to hold in place to work with the rasp.

To be honest, I find it far more interesting to see how this thing is made in real live than the 3d part. I hope you'll show us more of your prgress.

Here´s to a quick making-of:
(Can´t get it any smaller in file size.)
The Intro is made with Cheetah3d:
Intro.png

No idea how to photograph this thing - looks equal no matter what angle you choose: 😵

OloidPhoto.JPG

Now to branding and packaging.

Last edited:
Back