Track Bicycle Frame

I got the urge to join tubes together again, so I looked for a bicycle design to build.
I think the image I found may have been computer generated, but I liked the way it looked.

Although I'm not a cycle expert this frame looked different to me so I did some research to learn a little more.

This particular frame is carbon fiber, but it's the geometry that got my attention.
I believe it's a single speed track racing frame, no brakes,
no freewheeling and a short chainstay for a short chain.

trackframe.gif

Five years ago I made a C3D bike model. I like bikes in general, and carbon fiber frames can be designed in almost any shape you can think of. My bike model had fairly traditional geometry (angles and proportions), but with smooth joints.

I have also designed a few cars, and frequently referred to your many useful tutorials. Car bodies and bike frames are complex shapes. They have large smooth areas with compound curves, plus many tiny details. The trick is to keep the subdivision as simple as possible.

The Gallery section of the forum is mostly for showing finished renders, like your bike frame. Gallery posts show what is possible. Your renders look great, and I appreciate how you use a material that incorporates the “isoparameter” edges of the subdivision control mesh.

In contrast, the Tutorial section is mostly for showing technique. I have a request: consider posting two almost identical renders, maybe in the Tutorial section, using the same material, but depicting pre- and post-subdivision, so aspiring C3D users can visualize the way you make a simpler box model to get flowing shapes. I’d prefer two separate pictures, not a single GIF, because I like to compare them side-by-side.

C3D subdivision is a powerful design tool, but it’s hard to learn the process. The forum is the ideal platform for instructional materials. I have previously suggested attaching JAS files to explain simpler concepts so beginners can have interactive examples to test various tools and settings. In a csae like your bike frame, it’s not reasonable to ask for the file of a finished model, but maybe the pair of before-and-after pictures could not only display the aesthetic result but also help less skilled users learn the process.

Thanks again for the many tutorials.

Thanks Joel, I'm glad you found my tutorials useful.

I would make more video tutorials but my dropbox is full and I don't want to pay for more space.
I'm thinking about taking down some of the oldest ones to make more room. :unsure:

You make some good points and given me some ideas going forward. 💡

I have a request: consider posting two almost identical renders, maybe in the Tutorial section, using the same material, but depicting pre- and post-subdivision, so aspiring C3D users can visualize the way you make a simpler box model to get flowing shapes.

C3D subdivision is a powerful design tool

It's no critique, just a honest question. Do you really think that a beginner could benefit from just those 2 pictures with and without subd-modifier? I'm afraid it would need a bit more of an explanation in general. A simple render with wireframe or similar tells you a lot because you are an experienced user. An unexperienced one doesn't know how to get there, how to clean up the mess you often get on the way, which tools to use - and so on.

C3d subdivision is actually Catmull-Clarke, which is a standard used in probably any 3d dcc app, at least as an option.

I would make more video tutorials but my dropbox is full and I don't want to pay for more space.
I'm thinking about taking down some of the oldest ones to make more room. :unsure: 💡

Even older ones still have their worth, especially as you do not work "tools-focused". But why not just use youtube or vimeo?

You wouldn't earn much money, even with ads allowed, but maybe it would be enough for a coffee :). And, who knows, as the yt-algorithms would certainly list the videos for anyone interested in 3d, it maybe would get a bit attention for Cheetah.

Even older ones still have their worth, especially as you do not work "tools-focused". But why not just use youtube or vimeo?

You wouldn't earn much money, even with ads allowed, but maybe it would be enough for a coffee :). And, who knows, as the yt-algorithms would certainly list the videos for anyone interested in 3d, it maybe would get a bit attention for Cheetah.
I do have loads of clips on YT but where's the cash?

For video tutorials I like that with dropbox they are exclusive to the forum and can be downloaded.
I use YT as a host for anything too big to post on the forum but it's a mess of little clips in there.
I have even thought of streaming sessions, but I fear I'm far too flaky for that.

Back