How to create a Alpha Map in Cheetah3D for Unreal Engine?

Julius Kuno

Dear Everyone

I wish to make an normal map from a 3D model in Cheetah3D. (To use for a decal inside unreal engine). Basically what this person is doing in this video with ZBrush but I would like to do it with Cheetah3d :

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Dear Everyone

If there is a direct way I am still interested, if someone has the same problem and no solution here is what I found out so far.

You can download "substance player" for free.
Export your mesh as a obj from cheetah 3d
drag and drop it in to the 3d viewer of "substance player
then you can display it as a normal map
materials -> default -> mesh info -> normal
and export the normal map like that:
camera -> save render
this map will be usable in Unreal Engine

You can do exactly this in Cheetah3D - not with the fidelity and variance on brush sets like ZBrush but this works pretty much out of the box:
NormalMapRenderingC3D.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply. I am actually unintentionally in the scripting section, I am sorry for that mistake.

I am currently trying to replicate your instructions, but from the old threat you referred me to I think I should apply a directional shader but how do I do that.

Attachments

• 1641640729262.png
    1641640729262.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 200
Drag it from the repository onto the plane or the object in the Layers panel. A"+" sign will appear at the cursor when successfully applied.

You must ensure to align the plane to the Z-axis to render Z-depth. Just in case you want to simply rotate it 90° you must reset the value by using the Coord-System->Burn Transform.

Back