Cheetah crashing with basic polygon operations

IMG_5805.PNG

That's the capture. I took about 100 photos with iPhone 12. Used my M1 Mac mini to create the obj model in about 3 - 6 minutes.

Yes. It has different detail levels, preview, reduced, medium, full & raw. You get from 2 MB -> 350 MB models. They come with color, roughness, ao, normal maps. Supports OBJ & USDZ formats.

Oh, I certainly didn't take it that way and I like this approach to modeling this object as well - clean and simple. I would not have thought to start with a cylinder and thanks for including the file.
I'm still puzzled that we can't find the culprit of your issue. Maybe Console.app can help to diagnose. Open Cheetah3d aside Console, filter for Cheetah3d relevant entries and start torturering and check if there are any records appearing when beachball is turning for instance. A crash could be helpful also not wanted, but I think Martin can benefit from this kind of reports.

Last edited:
:eek: I can replicate MMounteer´s problem (Intel iMac 27 on Big Sur). There is no crash but a long (possibly infinite?) beachball and the fan kicks in. I am then executing a forced quit.
:unsure: It seems as if the orphaned points (existing in 3 of the 4 objects) are causing - or, at least, contributing - to this problem. Once optimised, this behaves without any problems.

I'm still puzzled that we can't find the culprit of your issue. Maybe Console.app can help to diagnose. Open Cheetah3d aside Console, filter for Cheetah3d relevant entries and start torturering and check if there are any records appearing when beachball is turning for instance. A crash could be helpful also not wanted, but I think Martin can benefit from this kind of reports.
Okay sounds good, I could definitely report it if it happens again.
:eek: I can replicate MMounteer´s problem (Intel iMac 27 on Big Sur). There is no crash but a long (possibly infinite?) beachball and the fan kicks in. I am then executing a forced quit.
:unsure: It seems as if the orphaned points (existing in 3 of the 4 objects) are causing - or, at least, contributing - to this problem. Once optimised, this behaves without any problems.
Whoa that's interesting I think I arrived at the same solution as well. I've started optimizing all the points and that seems to have helped solve the problem (well that and not having as many Chrome tabs open). Thanks for looking into and attempting to replicate the problem. Glad to know it's not just my hardware problem.

* You are welcome!
* If interested, here is a spline / creator based solution for an archway.
* There are advantages / disadvantages to this method, but you may want to experiment with alternatives.
Atch.jpg

Attachments

• Arch 01.jas.zip
    24.3 KB · Views: 144
I would try exporting the object as an OBJ and importing it to see if that helps.

Have you tried duet or any of the other third-party alternatives to sidecar?

Back