Vase Series (2001)

Working on a new hobby.
I'm using vases found around my house as reference (except 1002, made up).

Vase_SerIes_2021__1001.2_copyright_JerryMcCreary.jpg
Vase_SerIes_2021__1003.2_copyright_JerryMcCreary.jpg
Vase_SerIes_2021__1004.2_copyright_JerryMcCreary.jpg
Vase_SerIes_2021__1002.2_copyright_JerryMcCreary.jpg

Beautiful!

If you would, please share a bit of your process for the glazes and relief patterns.

cheers,
gsb

oh, and is the new hobby pottery or modeling pottery in C3D?

re: 1002 - is it the shape that is made up or the raku effect glaze?

inquiring minds and all…

thanks,
gsb

If you would, please share a bit of your process for the glazes and relief patterns.
Modeling:
The basic shape of the vase is created using loft tool with a varying number of circle splines, plus the shell tool.
It is easy to add as many circles as needed to match the base profile, moving and sizing each circle spline as needed.

After I get the base shape, I duplicate the object and covert to editable (hiding the original if needed later).
By converting to editable mesh, I'm able to bevel the lip of vase.

Modeling -> UV -> Materials:
Then I use the UV tool to unwrap, and resize the outside and inside UVs of vase in the UV editor.
I discovered the 'Group select' tool in the UV editor. This made moving and size much easier.
I then export as PDF to use in next step.

Materials:
The PBR shader is key. I open the UV PDF in image editing software (example: Adobe Photoshop or Affinity Photo).
In the one file, I'll build up the different images to export for use in the PBR shader: i.e. color, roughness/gloss, bump, etc.
The exported images used for roughness/gloss, specular, bump, etc are just greyscale.
For the color on 1002, I created a temporary material, using the turbulence filter with a gradient to get the various colors.
I used a greyscale image of the circle/block pattern to position the turbulence and direct the layers of color.
I applied this temporary material to a plane and rendered facing camera, then saved and imported rendering to my image editing software to use as color layer.

Displacement:
For 1001 and 1002, I exported an additional PNG (greyscale) to use with the displacement tool, in order to get the pattern relief.

Thanks for your process info. Always interesting to see how others create 3D shapes and virtual materials to get the look of real objects without using photographs of same. Certainly how I like to work. One last question for now… do you have any experience with real-world ceramics? You did a great of figuring out how to get the crazed gloss look of 1001 and the incised and more matt look of 1004. Beautiful.

thanks and cheers,
gsb

Materials:
The PBR shader is key. I open the UV PDF in image editing software (example: Adobe Photoshop or Affinity Photo).
In the one file, I'll build up the different images to export for use in the PBR shader: i.e. color, roughness/gloss, bump, etc.
The exported images used for roughness/gloss, specular, bump, etc are just greyscale.
For the color on 1002, I created a temporary material, using the turbulence filter with a gradient to get the various colors.
I used a greyscale image of the circle/block pattern to position the turbulence and direct the layers of color.
I applied this temporary material to a plane and rendered facing camera, then saved and imported rendering to my image editing software to use as color layer.
Thanks for sharing your process. I have created some vase shapes before, but my renders were never as beautifully realistic like yours. Working with UVs is something I need more practice with, and I don't think I have used PBR shaders before, so I'll be checking that out too. Thanks again.

Back