ProRes video texture won't play

Hi,

I'm trying to use a .mov as a video texture (as I have done many times in the past).

My video is 56 frames long at 60fps, ProRes 4444, 5120x2160 (doesn't work)

When I replace the texture with a 1920x1080 H.264 video it works fine. What's the issue with the ProRes file? (it shows a single frame just fine but doesn't play while rendering an animation).

EDIT:
I tried to convert the video to H.264 (at 3140x1620) as well and that still doesn't work so it's not the codec. Very strange. What could Cheetah3D like about one H.264 60fps video and not like about the other?

Last edited:
Well no idea where to start; 5120x2160px/60fps? I can render it - I can save as ProRes4444 and attache the mov-container to a tiny 0,512x,0216 plane and render 4 sec/30fps out. Everything is fine here. But again 5120x2160px? how large is the texture in your scene?

I attached a test scene with only a plane and the video. When rendering an animation, I should see the "test" text moving on the the plane but I can't. Does this scene work for you?

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    136.7 KB · Views: 135
There´s something wrong with your mov file. I made a new with 5008x3756px saved in H.264 container and attached to your plane in your scene and rendered at full HD and 1/10 for the attached GIF:
Text.gif

Why you´re using PBR shader with roughness, Caustics, MotionBlur, 32bit, 2 samples escapes me.

I made a new movie texture after your specs and saved as ProRes4444 container but 46MB in file size. Attached to your PBR-material it just works. I attached the Cheetah3d file so you can render it out for yourself.
But there are still certain things in your set-up I don´t understand: Refl/Refr-Caustics for a dead flat single triangulated plane with size of 2,75x1,16 but X,Y,Z=0,1 in Scale. Why such a high-res movie texture?
Somian.gif

Attachments

• MovieTexture5120x2160.jas.zip
    14.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
There´s something wrong with your mov file. I made a new with 5008x3756px saved in H.264 container and attached to your plane in your scene and rendered at full HD and 1/10 for the attached GIF:
View attachment 37720
Why you´re using PBR shader with roughness, Caustics, MotionBlur, 32bit, 2 samples escapes me.

I'm using these settings because that was a complex scene that I rendered with 2000 samples per pixel and I just threw out all other materials and geometry and reduced the samples to 2 to render faster so I could create the minimal scene to reproduce the issue.

This is interesting. Why do your movie textures work, but mine don't?

What are you using to export these?

I tried exporting from Final Cut Pro, QuickTime Player, Motion and HandBrake in various sizes and codecs and the issue persists.

EDIT:

Wow, I got it to work by using Motion to reduce the frame rate to 30 and doubling the length (so it's still 56 frames, but at 30, not 60 fps.)

It seems like Cheetah3D doesn't like video clips where the frame rate is higher than the amount of frames.

So for now I'll just render at 30fps in slow-mo and then speed it up %)

Last edited:
Now, here's what happens. My video plays now but at exactly 1:00 seconds it jumps back to start.

(I attached the scene, the source video texture and a video of the rendered result. I would expect all the frames of the video to map 1:1 to the frames in the project and I don't understand why it's jumping back. If I disable "loop" it will just stop at 1:00.

I'm just tying to find a way to export something from Motion that works %)

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    143.4 KB · Views: 140
looptest2 has 56 frames at 30 fps (so it’s almost 2 seconds) and so does the cheetah3D take. The issue is that if you look at frame 31, it’s not frame 31 from the video on the texture but frame 1.

After going down the rabbit holes and generating loads of tests this is my conclusion:
"A 60FPS/121frames/2sec movie will render half a second on a 15/30/60FPS 1sec take length." I guess it will tell you something.
MovieTextureExplorer.png

I made a fresh movie texture 30fps/2sec and attached to your scene and rendered 57 frames.
1. movie texture
2. result
MovieTexture30FPS2sec.gif

MovieTexture30FPS57frames.gif

Last edited:
Back