3D Grid - how to build suggestions pls

Hello,
I'm trying to make an image like this, but in 3D so that the grid animates somewhat. Any suggestion on how to approach/build it in C3D?

3D Grid screenshot.png

Good grief that thread was back in 2012! I really hope that script is still working with the latest C3D!

* Another useful script by Master Hiroto is "Polygon to Spline". It generates splines based on the edges of an object (I used an icosahedron plus a crumple mod; you can fine-tune the mesh on selected faces / add polygons, as required ).
* Then use this as the skeleton for a sweep.
* For any animation, collapse the script into a compound spline and use point-record. I have not tested if that updates the grid properly, though.

* Note: I sometimes rename scripts as I have dozens in my folders. The original script may have a different title.

grid.jpg

* To achieve a sparse grid based on a regular mesh (eg a polyhedron) you can deploy the build modifier. Green lines show the "invisible" part of the sweep, blue tubules are the visible bits.
Grid.jpg

* Another useful script by Master Hiroto is "Polygon to Spline".
Yep, I'd use that too (it's here).
In order to get irregular triangles, triangulate some base mesh and apply a subdivision modifier in stam-loop mode to get a dense mesh, then use the simplify tool, the build modifier @Helmut mentioned, followed with a crumple modifier with a high frequency.
The sweep creator used with a polygon-to-spline net automatically creates UVs along the length of the bars.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Back