Hole-istics or Making a hole

Making a hole

This is a technique for making a hole in irregular or non-flat surfaces.

No Booleans where used to make the hole, but instead
I used one to trim the cylinder which will become the hole.

cg_start.gif

cg_start02.gif

cg_start03.gif

cg_start04.gif

This works but it is much harder to do. Thanks Frank.

I haven't yet figured out an easy way to do this, but this does
seem to result in no disruption of the original curved surface. 🥳

a_new_way.gif

Now that I've applied preparation F to my pucker problem, I'm thinking about how
hard it would be to make various size holes in a cylinder using this method.

For this test I made the large hole and then applied a C.C. subdivision before making the smaller hole.
I also reduced the Subdivision Modifier to level 2, which means the smaller holes end up with 32 sections instead of 64.

Two stage.jpg

Not sure about your budget; resin printers are quite affordable nowadays.

PS.: I must admit I thought it would be about pocket holes.
Perforated sheet metal is easy:
I'm looking at so many printers and they all have problems.
The one I want, I can't afford. They don't even sell them,
lease only for approx $40k per year. The Carbon M1. 🤪 (y)(y)
The Dremel 3D45 looks good for an extrusion based printer under $2k.

I have a Perforated PBR Material for that.

Perf PBR.jpg

Attachments

• Perf PBR c3dmat.zip
    56 KB · Views: 209
At least you could use a service provider. ;-)

PocketHoles. Sorry for highjacking.

PS.: I guess your material is image based. ;-)
Carbon has a list of providers with their machines so I'll see how expensive one print would be.

Ah yes. I did look like I was doing a pocket hole. That was because I intended
to drill out the hole and install a metal sleeve and tap threads into the sleeve.

The other day in the DIY store I saw an offer for 3d printing services, from PLA to metal sintering - unfortunately without a price quote. It felt like a locksmith service. Unless you bring a USB stick with your data.

Carbon has a list of providers with their machines so I'll see how expensive one print would be.
If you’re in a city with a Maker lab, they often have a 3D printer for members, but the quality, capabilities, and operational status can be something of a crap-shoot.

The technology Carbon developed, DLS, is continuous so there are no layers.
Plastic extrusion prints are not strong enough to take major stress and I've heard
they fall apart if you try to drill into them. Partly due to the fact the inside
may be a lattice work. DLS is supposed to make end use objects.

I found a company called Xometry that looks good at first glance.

Meanwhile there are a lot of printers that claim to print in industry standard. Something like a Markforged starts at 4500 for a desktop version
which can print fiberglass, kevlar or carbon fiber, quite durable materials. The industry printers can even do metal (but without a 100 k to spend you shouldn't even think about it). And that's just an example of a firm that produces printers with very durable material.

Those things are around, and there are many shops selling their services (here around it's mostly the cheap plastic stuff, though), but you should be able to find several such companies that have the necessary means to build you whatever you want from your data (even a personally tailored kevlar vest, should the necessity arise).

Back