Blurred Glass doesn't seem to propagate reflected light back to camera

Hi!

So I've been experimenting with blurred glass (both the "dielectric" and the standard shader).

I attached my test scene.

As you can see, when the "Trans. blur" of the dielectric shader is 0, it looks correct. As soon as I set the value to anything but zero, the plane appears black.

Shouldn't I be able to see the reflection in the AluminumBox even though it's behind the blurred glass plane?

Attachments

• BlurredGlassTest.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Trans. blur = 0.01 copy.jpg
    Trans. blur = 0.01 copy.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Trans. blur = 0.01 w skylight copy.jpg
    Trans. blur = 0.01 w skylight copy.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 173
  • Trans. blur = 0.000001.jpg
    Trans. blur = 0.000001.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 176
  • Trans. blur = 0.jpg
    Trans. blur = 0.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 176
They're both set to Raytrace + Trans (otherwise, they wouldn't cast caustics on the floor below the pane.)

Try adding a HDRI light which will give you an environment to reflect.

Here's your file with an HDRI - entrance hall pano
Falcon renderer.

BlurredGlassTestzhd.jpg

The set-up with Falcon+Point light doesn´t make sense. Either use Cheetah renderer or change to area-light source->Sphere - but nothing beats an HDRI light in terms of simplicity and outcome.
And what do you expect from glass (dielectric shader) without environment? Just asking. BTW Bevel radius on your boxes is way too high for the small thickness. Just my 2¢ of course.

I was thinking that the specular from the light should still be visible through the glass when blurred, just like it's visible when the glass isn't set to blur.

Specularity of what? From the metal shader, the reflective part of the dielectric shader? The same is true for shiny/reflective metal - no environment = no output.
BlurNoBlur.jpeg

Try adding a HDRI light which will give you an environment to reflect.

Here's your file with an HDRI - entrance hall pano
Falcon renderer.

View attachment 37468

Hi, I'm following this post as I also have difficulty sometimes rendering glass. I have tried to re-create this file by adding a HDRI light but can't seem to achieve anything like you have achieved here. Would you be so kind as to post the jas file so I can examine the correct settings. I feel it's probably something I have overlooked.

image.png

Hi, I'm following this post as I also have difficulty sometimes rendering glass. I have tried to re-create this file by adding a HDRI light but can't seem to achieve anything like you have achieved here. Would you be so kind as to post the jas file so I can examine the correct settings. I feel it's probably something I have overlooked.
No problem, here you go:

Attachments

• BlurredGlass zhd.zip
    11.4 KB · Views: 166
When render-times are important you might look more closely into the renderer properties:
I skipped caustics as I don´t expect any value from a flat pane of glass. I changed the Smooth: to flat to get a more definition at the edge BTW.
The "silvery" edge of the Aluminium material bugs me though.
As a minimum I can live with:
Total bounces: 4
Diffuse bounces: 1
Glossy bounces:4
Specular bounces: 4
Transparency depth: 2
RenderTimes.jpeg

Back