How to model a golf ball?? I have no clue

Final thoughts methinks on golfballs.
The beauty of edge-ring deletion is that it more precisely supports the edge length.
However, the pentagons are somewhat suppressed and we end with 642 dimples which won´t pass the
International Rules of Golf Administration: "Projectiles, trajectories and the spirit of 18 holes".
My method seems to try to adjust the edge length in general which results in unsightly deformations at the transition from pentagon to the surrounding hexagons.
My steps were:
Icohasedron+Subdivision=StamLoop 2 iterations - made editable
Select all points and call Bevel-tool: Linear, Level: 1 Quantize: 0,314159 (guess what these numbers are)
click and drag till it pops into hexagons. (You can skip "Quantize" and click+drag to your liking)
(Laplacian-smooth is optional - but not easy to adjust the right values)
Select all Polygons - Inner-extrude=click for offset, add shift key+mouse drag to left for inset value - repeat this one more time
Add SubDiMo (Catmull-Clark, 2 iterations) and material.
Golf.png

@EllenM That's brilliant using the Bevel Tool on Points. :geek:

And regarding a straight seam, here are some
pics from Titleist, a golf ball manufacturer.

Different diameter dimples and a small square area as well.
So the only problem is how to make all dimples round like this. :unsure:

Ball Mold 02.jpg
Ball Mold.jpg

* Very clever and creative!
* Who would have thunk of using π in this trickery? A spot of experimentation may clarify the puzzle.
* Thank you, @EllenM

Massive Boolean Operation ahead - unfinished and useless. I manually scaled the hexagons surrounding the pentagons which have to be put manually in.
Made from the stamlooped Icosahedron used as Particle mesh to carry 642 half spheres subtracted via Boolean op.: yikes.
MassiveBoolean.jpg

Back