Glass material breaks "Focus On Object" DOF

Simon A

Hi

am bullding a model that needs to have a specific focus point. I have a large plane with various elements one of which is the focus object. When I use a glass material on the plane the depth of field grid covers the whole camera window. if I change the material to something else e.g. the silver metal material then the DOF grid goes back to the position of the target object.

Obviously something with the glass material or a node is causing an issue, before I try experimenting with a fake water/glass materials, does anyone have any ideas?

Just to add smaller objects other than the plane that use a glass material do not cause issues with DOF. However if I use a large box instead of a plane and use the glass material I get the same DOF issue which is fixed if I swap glass for a metal.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-12 at 12.53.41.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-12 at 12.53.41.png
    507 KB · Views: 182
  • Screenshot 2021-05-12 at 12.55.36.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-12 at 12.55.36.png
    509.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
The reason you'll see the whole grid is because the glass is transparent - that's the whole story. The focus point will not change.
Because transparency will be drawn at last by OpenGL you can reorder the hierarchy of the objects in Objects-browser - so parts "under water" won't appear in 3d-view for example.

The reason you'll see the whole grid is because the glass is transparent - that's the whole story. The focus point will not change.
Because transparency will be drawn at last by OpenGL you can reorder the hierarchy of the objects in Objects-browser - so parts "under water" won't appear in 3d-view for example.
Thanks for that, it makes sense but changing the hierarchy didn't seem to work. I have just tried a standard material setting transparency to 25% and this caused no issues with DOF. So will experiment in making a material from a standard material that can fake a water reflection.

The transparency channel has the same effect as the dielectric shader. Where did you adjust the translucency?
TransLucysmall.gif

Or just stick in a non-rendering reference object and attach it to DOF, which is what you do if you want to animage DoF anyway.

Back