Apply material to group/merged objects

Hello all. I'm hoping this is straightforward, but I'm struggling with this:
1. build a brick wall (no mortar!):
- make a brick
- duplicate brick(s) to form wall
2. Merge the bricks into one object
3. Apply a material (that is just a jpeg on diffuse) to cover the entire wall (not replicated on individual bricks)

- now maybe optimistic:
4. bake the texture onto the bricks
5. reposition the bricks with them retaining their portion of the image

I am fine with step 1! Step 2 seems to work fine using the merge command. Step 3 fails because I get the material applied to individual bricks rather than the whole wall. Steps 4 and 5 are a pipe dream until I get steps 1-3 working! Are steps 4 and 5 even possible?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Chris

I´m wondering about a few things:
1. How you built the wall?
2. Why not texture the initial brick (variations can maybe applied via a filter-node)?
3. Maybe this script will help you along: Brick Spline Particles

This may be just a UV stacking problem.
Here's a wall of loose brick faces and the UVs with no UV mapping.
All UVs are on top of one another.

Solution: Map your UVs

Loose Brick UVs.jpg

Nice looking bricks! LOL

One cool thing about Modo is it has a variations texture. It can randomly offset a texture for each polygon and then can also slightly change the color on each one to make it look more realistic. That would be awesome to have in C3d. Might be away to do it with the nodes already, but I'm a dummy when it comes to that.

@EllenM
The OP probably wanted to create something like a crumbling or half destroyed wall, but in actuality it would only really make sense with an "exploding" picture.

@ZooHead
Reading the problem I thought immediately in the same lines, but the seemingly twodimensionality of the thing gets me puzzled. That's why an exploding picture came to mind for which it would make sense. (I know, with 3dimensional bricks the solution stays the same in the end).

That and the part about baking the texture make me think of a procedural texture that's not uv mapped, so the problem is maybe that the bricks aren't really duplicated but instanced.

Sadly I get the feeling, we'll never know ...

@Swizl
No doubt about it, texture variation is a good thing, especially when the part only uses a part of the uv map and you can shove it around for variations from the same picture. If you don't know it already, also check out texture offset, which uses a underlying layer to create distortions in another layer (for example a picture).

But most of the time I do the same I did in every other 3d package: Combine different textures into one. This can be achieved in Cheetah, although it's admittedly a lot easier to do in Modo's shader tree with layers. Most of the time this is enough to hide repeating patterns.

With layers you can freely combine through opacity and blend modes, additionally using masks to use different materials combined in the same material group, everything topped with the same dirt layer for example, you have endless possibilities far exceeding anything that's possible in Cheetah. (You can for example create a rusted metall where the paint is higher than the rust thanks to displacement, using another displacement map for just the rust part and on on). It get's slow after a while, though, as you can create very complex materials rather easily. So a good layer system in Cheetah would help a lot more imho, especially as that layer system is a prerequisite for texture offset and maybe even variation texture (I don't really know what's under the hood there). The main advantage is of course that it's very easy to grasp with the layers we already know from photoshop and similar apps. But I think the layer idea was abandoned already years ago with the then new nodal material system (which has a lot of possibilities as you can see in a lot of threads in this forums).

Speaking of Photoshop, for Cheetah it's an alternative to paint the texture variations in the painting app of your choice, resulting maybe in a bit of a big texture, but this way you can achieve a lot, theoretically even the example mentioned above of the rusting metal with a fitting displacement map that includes both rust and the higher metal part. It's just a lot more of work.

I almost always combine at least one additional procedural texture with procedurals or bitmap textures, sometimes combining different pbr textures into one.

And another tip: Before somebody goes puts in a lot of work to hide repeating patterns, it's well worth to wait before the whole scene and the camera are set. Often the repeating part is hidden and you don't need a lot of work to make the rest invisible (or almost).

Hello folks. Many, many thanks for all the help and suggestions with this. And apologies for late response - I'm not at my computer much these days. I feel I may have led a few people on the wrong track because of the "brick wall" scenario. I actually do want to build a structure out of "bricks" - or perhaps I should have said "blocks". But the bricks don't need to be varied/randomised at all. The whole point is that I want the "wall" (it won't be a wall) to be as though it has had a mural painted on it but then parts of the wall have been pulled apart with the mural still in place on the moved pieces. Does that make sense? ZooHead got it pretty much bang on with his suggestion but I'm struggling to replicate it. I certainly need the structure to be made of 3D blocks rather than planes. The "wall" won't be a flat wall, but a three-dimensional object apparently made of blocks. I think it is an issue with UV mapping as ZooHead states. When I go into the UV mapper I can get the material spread across the merged blocks, but as soon as I go back to the model or try a render I get the material applied and scaled to the individual block objects.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 08.28.33.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 08.28.33.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 193
  • Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 08.30.42.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 08.30.42.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 189
@ChrisCD The UV Mapper tool has a button at the bottom of the panel "Write UV coords".
You have to click that button before anything will change. This is a common mistake I used to make.

ZooHead - Thank you! I can't believe I'd missed that. I think I understand enough now to have a go at my project. If I ever get it finished, I'll post it. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 11.51.16.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 11.51.16.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 161
ZooHead - Thank you! I can't believe I'd missed that. I think I understand enough now to have a go at my project. If I ever get it finished, I'll post it. Thanks again.
I'm sure I said the same thing when I did it a number of times, even after learning about the button.
Let us know if you need any more help.

Hello folks. Many, many thanks for all the help and suggestions with this. And apologies for late response - I'm not at my computer much these days. I feel I may have led a few people on the wrong track because of the "brick wall" scenario. I actually do want to build a structure out of "bricks" - or perhaps I should have said "blocks". But the bricks don't need to be varied/randomised at all. The whole point is that I want the "wall" (it won't be a wall) to be as though it has had a mural painted on it but then parts of the wall have been pulled apart with the mural still in place on the moved pieces. Does that make sense? ZooHead got it pretty much bang on with his suggestion but I'm struggling to replicate it. I certainly need the structure to be made of 3D blocks rather than planes. The "wall" won't be a flat wall, but a three-dimensional object apparently made of blocks. I think it is an issue with UV mapping as ZooHead states. When I go into the UV mapper I can get the material spread across the merged blocks, but as soon as I go back to the model or try a render I get the material applied and scaled to the individual block objects.
I guess you probably could make good use of this script: https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/11838/

Back