Newbie question - Rendering 32 bit sequence

mark

I have managed to output a png sequence but it appress to not have alpha channel in it.
How and where do you check what the output is in Cheetah?
Cannot seem to find any menus for output?

For the alpha channel set up go to camera➝Background➝Color: ➝ 0% Opacity
To access 32bit rendering enable G-Buffer➝ Color depth: 32bit in the Renderer (Cheetah/Falcon) and choose ProRes4444 as the video container format to include the alpha value.

Thanks Ellen, Found the camera-background-Color-0% OK
But having trouble finding the G-buffer window?
Any clues of where to look for this as have looked everywhere for it.
Im running 6.3 so maybe it is only in 7.0?

Have a look at the Renderer settings:
Gbuffer.jpg

and yes - pretty sure it's a 7.xx feature.

I've never changed the G-Buffer colour depth, but I do change the opacity and use ProRes for exporting the alpha channel. Does 32-bit give a cleaner result?

You are always better off using 32 bit if you have any Alpha involved as the extra data vs 24 bit is the data for the alpha so I would say in most cases if not all will always be better.

You are always better off using 32 bit if you have any Alpha involved as the extra data vs 24 bit is the data for the alpha so I would say in most cases if not all will always be better.
Awesome, thanks Mark. I'll be choosing 32-bit from now on. :)

I believe the 16 and 32 bit output is useful for single image renders only.
For animation don't bother with the G buffer at all just make the Camera Background Opacity 0% and save as ProRes4444.

For a png image you don't need 32 bit for alpha transparency so again don't bother with the G buffer.
Just make the camera background 0% and save as png.

When you check the save G buffer 32 bit, Cheetah generates exr and hdr files separate from the png tif and jpeg files.
A 32 bit exr image can not be viewed on any computer without being HDR tone mapped down to 8 bits.
Cheetah generates a preview image for this using the Exposure Gamma method
but like a Raw image from a camera you can change it later by tone mapping.

Tone Map Panel.jpg

I believe the 16 and 32 bit output is useful for single image renders only.
For animation don't bother with the G buffer at all just make the Camera Background Opacity 0% and save as ProRes4444.

For a png image you don't need 32 bit for alpha transparency so again don't bother with the G buffer.
Just make the camera background 0% and save as png.

When you check the save G buffer 32 bit, Cheetah generates exr and hdr files separate from the png tif and jpeg files.
A 32 bit exr image can not be viewed on any computer without being HDR tone mapped down to 8 bits.
Cheetah generates a preview image for this using the Exposure Gamma method
but like a Raw image from a camera you can change it later by tone mapping.
Thanks Eric. I think I have gone full circle, so it's back to the good old png with alpha transparency. It's good to know what to use 32-bit for should I need it one day.

Actually it's not that simple. 32-bit exr-files as video are actually common and it's in other 3d packages the standard output (linear).

The reason is the same why (most) professional photographers / camera operators rather use raw. In the end it's always toned down (tone mapped) to something we can see, but up to that point you would want as much information as possible. For example a (short) movie is filmed at different times with different lights (which changes the color), maybe even with different cameras etc. With the right color correction you get the same look for all of it. The simplest reason, though, is to get the style you want (or the customer wants) which is easier the more info the picture actually contends.

When you don't have such restrictions and your whole animation is just a single scene in Cheetah, you probably don't need it. So png is certainly enough most of the time for most of the users here.

For those who are interested in digging a bit deeper, see the wiki-links below:

Color correction

Tone mapping

LUT - Lookup table (scroll down to lookup tables in image processing)

Back