Point lamp adjustments.

I am unable to change the shape and radius of my lamp in the property menu. Could someone please direct me how to activate this option? Thank you !

Attachments

• Light.jpg
    Light.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 187
I am currently testing the adjustments of the various lamps based on the values shown in the light & shadow table that I downloaded from your site. For a point type lamp, where should we go to adjust the size ???

Attachments

• Light&Shadow_Table.jpeg
    Light&Shadow_Table.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 211
This is from an old posting, for an earlier version of Cheetah.
Now with the addition the Falcon renderer things have changed.

Have you worked at all with the image based lighting system?
It uses high dynamic range images or HDRIs for incredibly realistic lighting.
You can use it with both renderers but Falcon can get more out of them by adjusting the clamping setting.
I use hdr lighting with the occasional Area light when needed.
There are many free hdr images online.

The Area light is probably the most used light other than hdr.

HDR, area light, and glowing objects are the only lights you should use in Falcon (unless you REALLY know what you’re doing, in which case you’re not reading this far anyway).

The basics are: take any lighting theory, e.g. ”three point” which is essentially front-ish, back, and fill, and use area lights. They will be dimmer than you expect, so you’ll need to crank them up to ~distance from subject squared divided by number of frontish lights divided by area of the light surface (and face the light towards the subject).

e.g. if your lights are 10 units from the subject and there’s two frontish lights, they’ll need to be roughly 10 x 10 / 2 strength assuming area = 1.

Or, just use IBL and add area lights for fill.

I'm not sure I understand everything you wrote... The reason is simple, my native language is French. So I have to use a translator to understand ... By the way what is a glowing object ? Also what is IBL ???

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understand everything you wrote... The reason is simple, my native language is French. So I have to use a translator to understand ... By the way what is a glowing object ? Also what is IBL ???
Bonjour LUKO!

No worries about the French. We have plenty of non-native English speakers here, and I can understand what you write perfectly. The creator of the app, Martin, is from Germany. :cool:

Glowing objects are ones that emit energy (light). You can turn any geometry into a light, or glowing object by changing the color of the emissive property in the material (see screen shot of the material settings). Black is no emission and White is full emission (a color can also be used). You can also use a texture to drive Emission. You won't see the emission until you render the image. It won't show in the 3d viewport.

IBL stands for Image Based Lighting. It just means using an image that captures multiple steps of exposure in an image. Usually these are HDR or EXR images. Don't be fooled by fake HDR (High Dynamic Range) though. Some people use this term for images that have just been manipulated in an image editor to seem like they have high dynamic range. Those are not much better than a standard jpg for lighting. Which has very low exposure levels in the bitmap file. You can buy HDR or EXR images from a lot of places. C3d includes two that come with the app. Just load the Scene > HDRI light to add it to your scene. There are some properties you can adjust in this tag.

You can also find a bunch of free ones here at HDRI Haven. https://hdrihaven.com/ They provide a range of low resolution to high resolution HDR images as well as ones with a different number of exposure levels. Anything over 2k or 4k might be overkill for most renders. But you can decide what works the best for you.

Feel free to ask any specific questions if you get stuck. :D

Au Revoir,

Simon

Emissive.jpg

Last edited:
Bonjour LUKO!

No worries about the French. We have plenty of non-native English speakers here, and I can understand what you write perfectly. The creator of the app, Martin, is from Germany. :cool:

Glowing objects are ones that emit energy (light). You can turn any geometry into a light, or glowing object by changing the color of the emissive property in the material (see screen shot of the material settings). Black is no emission and White is full emission (a color can also be used). You can also use a texture to drive Emission. You won't see the emission until you render the image. It won't show in the 3d viewport.

IBL stands for Image Based Lighting. It just means using an image that captures multiple steps of exposure in an image. Usually these are HDR or EXR images. Don't be fooled by fake HDR (High Dynamic Range) though. Some people use this term for images that have just been manipulated in an image editor to seem like they have high dynamic range. Those are not much better than a standard jpg for lighting. Which has very low exposure levels in the bitmap file. You can buy HDR or EXR images from a lot of places. C3d includes two that come with the app. Just load the Scene > HDRI light to add it to your scene. There are some properties you can adjust in this tag.

You can also find a bunch of free ones here at HDRI Haven. https://hdrihaven.com/ They provide a range of low resolution to high resolution HDR images as well as ones with a different number of exposure levels. Anything over 2k or 4k might be overkill for most renders. But you can decide what works the best for you.

Feel free to ask any specific questions if you get stuck. :D

Au Revoir,

Simon

View attachment 37239
Do objects with emissive properties really have the power to illuminate the scene? I did some tests and they all turned out to be negative. Maybe I'm missing something in the adjustments? I tried with a sphere and the only thing I got was a white circle in the rendering... Concerning HDR their choice to light the scene must be judicious even if they are real HDR because they are at the origin of the global effect of the lighting...

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

I'm not able to unpack your file. It should read as something like: "xyz.jas.zip"
Capto_Capture 2021-03-30_05-08-49_PM.png

Wait: DrUnarchiver was able to decompress.
From what I found is you have the Camera light on. "Auto" is the default setting but won't recognize an emissive plane as a light source - so you have to turn it off manually.
EmissiveLight4U.jpg

Attachments

• EmissiveLight4U.jas.zip
    121.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
But this is a contradiction to the concept of physical based rendering (PBR). Now I'm not sure what you expect from this in your scene. What's wrong with it?

Back