Is there a way to scale down voxel models from Sculptura 3D?

dthistorybuff

Hello,

I'm experimenting with a sculpted model I made in Sculptura 3D and imported into Cheetah. I can apply textures but forget about UV Unwrapping. Rigging for animation is no problem. However, I wanted to bring the FBX model into iClone 3DXchange and and it won't export because the model is too robust. Are there ways within Cheetah that I can compress the model to export it to other applications?

Hey dthistorybuff, I'm guessing your model is too dense. Cheetah3D has a polygon tool called 'simplify'. It will reduce the number of polygons used in the mesh. Obviously this is going to lower the detail in your model (except on flat areas), so it may not be the result you need.
Another technique for such a thing is 'retopo' and 'bake' a normal map from high-poly sclupt to the lower-poly retopo mesh. C3D can be used to retopo - but there are definitely better apps out there for that. Baking the normal map can't be done in C3D (quite sure, but not positive).
Hopefully that can point you in the right direction.

--shift studio.

Actually I think this might be just what was needed. I'm sculpting ancient elephant ancestors, so not a lot of characters with elaborate costumes. I did find that I have to do it right after I import the Sculptura model before I add any rigging. Thanks a bunch. I think you've probably saved me a ton of time.

Actually I think this might be just what was needed. I'm sculpting ancient elephant ancestors, so not a lot of characters with elaborate costumes. I did find that I have to do it right after I import the Sculptura model before I add any rigging. Thanks a bunch. I think you've probably saved me a ton of time.
That’s great to hear! If you can, I’m sure users would like to see results when(if) you’re ready to share.
— shift studio.

That’s great to hear! If you can, I’m sure users would like to see results when(if) you’re ready to share.
— shift studio.
I'll be happy to. It'll be a bit though. I'm still fumbling quite a bit with Cheetah. But then that's what I love about this program. It's intuitive enough that someone who mainly does video editing can learn it. The acid test will be once I get it rigged, can I get it into iClone 7.

Back