how to do this light

src=http---image3.suning.cn-uimg-b2c-newcatentries-0070148257-000000000172410670_3_800x800.jp...jpeg

Not sure but a few ways come to mind. IES lights, which are pre-made light specifications, typically made by light manufacturers to match their products. Cheetah supports these type of lights. So you can do an internet search for IES light files to use.

Another way would be to either use a texture or gradient material with a high emission (white) setting. This would effectively turn the material into a light.

also possibly a semitransparent material with a light behind it, but since C3d doesn’t have subsurface scattering, it might not look as good.

Consider this a proof of concept - it's nowhere near finished, done just to see what's likely the best approach.

2020 Light test.jpg

Issues I see coming:

I built this by manually modifying a box with bevelled edges, then using Catmull-Clark subdivisions to get those curved corners on the flat plane. Then, I applied three textures to the polygons of the model - basic glass, a dark bronze, and a custom default material with high transparency and a custom emissive value. There is an area light placed slightly above the model.

A) when you have an Area light, there is a checkbox to indicate if the light itself should be rendered or not. Here it is turned off - but there seems to be a bug in the renderer that if you view the light object through a transparent material, the light object becomes visible again.

B) I ultimately used a custom Color Node to provide data to the Emissive property. Why? A normal color applied to Emissive became too opaque, so I used the Transparency value for that color, but that made the brightness of the color dim. With a Color Node, I could use the same color with opacity, but I could also provide an Intensity value of slightly more than 1, which comes closer to the frosted, backlit texture of the glass.

C) to build it again, I would start with a normal box with several sections in the x and z planes, and bevel the outside corners to get the curves. Clone it, then distort one with Bulge Modifiers to get your curvy shapes on the bottom plane, but keep the top/botttom flat. Then merge those curved polygons on the bottom plane with the unmodified outer boundaries of the original, replacing its bottom plane. There will be a lot of cleanup.

------
As a background item, this probably won't take long. If you want to call lots attention to it, though, it may take quite a bit of experimenting to get acceptable results.

Good luck!

Consider this a proof of concept - it's nowhere near finished, done just to see what's likely the best approach.

View attachment 37137

Issues I see coming:

I built this by manually modifying a box with bevelled edges, then using Catmull-Clark subdivisions to get those curved corners on the flat plane. Then, I applied three textures to the polygons of the model - basic glass, a dark bronze, and a custom default material with high transparency and a custom emissive value. There is an area light placed slightly above the model.

A) when you have an Area light, there is a checkbox to indicate if the light itself should be rendered or not. Here it is turned off - but there seems to be a bug in the renderer that if you view the light object through a transparent material, the light object becomes visible again.

B) I ultimately used a custom Color Node to provide data to the Emissive property. Why? A normal color applied to Emissive became too opaque, so I used the Transparency value for that color, but that made the brightness of the color dim. With a Color Node, I could use the same color with opacity, but I could also provide an Intensity value of slightly more than 1, which comes closer to the frosted, backlit texture of the glass.

C) to build it again, I would start with a normal box with several sections in the x and z planes, and bevel the outside corners to get the curves. Clone it, then distort one with Bulge Modifiers to get your curvy shapes on the bottom plane, but keep the top/botttom flat. Then merge those curved polygons on the bottom plane with the unmodified outer boundaries of the original, replacing its bottom plane. There will be a lot of cleanup.

------
As a background item, this probably won't take long. If you want to call lots attention to it, though, it may take quite a bit of experimenting to get acceptable results.

Good luck!
wow!

(just a little tip: Don't try to reproduce some 3d stuff (other than in a tutorial) but rather the real thing)

(edit: Never happened before, but hitting spacebar sent the comment ... :unsure::cautious:)

Back