So, from the posts I've searched, looks like Shadowmat only works with Cheetah engine, so how would one achieve the same kind of effect with Falcon?

So, from the posts I've searched, looks like Shadowmat only works with Cheetah engine, so how would one achieve the same kind of effect with Falcon?

Hmm.. that's a bummer - cause usually the "shadowmat" comes in handy when you are placing an object on top of a photo/background. But if one has to place a "floor" object to create a shadow, then there's no way to make it so the TOP-object looks like it's resting on top of said background, ha??

If the background includes a ground plane you can compose a fitting texture and blend it in using a disc with opacity gradient towards the edge.

entrance.jpg

Attachments

• entrance.jas.zip
    14.9 KB · Views: 183
You could also render the mesh without shadow, render a second time with a white plane that receives shadow, load those pics into some photoshop-like app, mask the object in pic 2 with the alpha from pic 1, blend the white part with the shadow into the intended background-pic using "darker" (so the white doesn't affect the pic in the least), adjust opacity and / or brightness, contrast etc (if it's to hard, use a bit of blur).

It's really amazing what you can do with blending different layers into each other with ps or any other app that allows for this.

Thanks Hasdrubal for the prompt, this made me come up with this:

- In a scene with HDRI, put model on a plane
- bake diffuse and radiosity from that plane to get the shadow on white background
- use the bake render result on the very plane as transparency map in a black material for rendering with Falcon
- you can even change the camera angle!

screenshot2.jpg

(I get an oversaturated map and need to desaturate within the material.)

Attachments

• lightmap.jpg
    lightmap.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 179
  • shadowfalcon.jas.zip
    23.8 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Here is another test of this method.
Cheetah Renderer was used in path tracing mode (irradiance cache =0) to bake diffuse and radiosity on a ground plane that carries four cubes.
Baking took 67 min. The map was then denoised, sharpened, desaturated and normalized in Photoshop.
Also the diffuse of the white cube was baked, the other cubes are purely specular.
Then the baked map was used for transparence of a black material for the ground plane and the caustics were separated via multiplyadd for the emission channel (The wireframe prohibits sharp edges to appear).
Rendering a frame principally takes only one sample with Cheetah Renderer without radiosity (fastest metod for this setup),
except I chose a blurred reflection for the white cube which takes 4 samples for that object.
Rendering all 600 frames finished in 98 min, vs probably several days when each frame was to be rendered without baked maps.

baked.jpg mat.png

Last edited:
Back