1Password v7 - Permanent License

So this came up in another thread and a few people have asked me about it. So I figure I'll create a new post to go over how to buy a permanent license. Since the people that make 1Password are wanting people to sign up for subscriptions and it's a bit confusing on how to buy a permanent license now. But this can be done for both the Mac and Windows version. One caveat is that this can't be the Mac App Store version. It has to be the trial version downloaded from their website.

1. Go to the menu bar and pick "Purchase 1Password..."

1 Menubar.png

2. Pick "More Options..."
2 New to 1Pssword.png

3. Click on the "Need a license?" link
3 Need a License.png
4 Buy License.png

Last edited:
Thanks for posting these instructions @Swizl.
When I pull down the menu bar as outlined in Step 1 I get a different menu >>
1PasswordMenu.jpg

There is no purchase option unfortunately. This is the version downloaded from their site and is version 7.7 (70700015)

I had the idea that I can make a 'Local Vault' via Preferences/Advanced then Unsubscribe and see what I can do from there.

Thoughts about that?

Then I was also thinking about since 1Password is at v7.7, how long until they're at v8, and will I want/have to upgrade again ... will I have to jump through hoops?

Also, the subscription does work seamlessly for other devices - better than old syncing options.
On the other hand, having all my passwords stored in the cloud doesn't seem smart from a security perspective!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

--shift studio.

Thanks for posting these instructions @Swizl.
When I pull down the menu bar as outlined in Step 1 I get a different menu >>
View attachment 37085
There is no purchase option unfortunately. This is the version downloaded from their site and is version 7.7 (70700015)

I had the idea that I can make a 'Local Vault' via Preferences/Advanced then Unsubscribe and see what I can do from there.

Thoughts about that?

Then I was also thinking about since 1Password is at v7.7, how long until they're at v8, and will I want/have to upgrade again ... will I have to jump through hoops?

Also, the subscription does work seamlessly for other devices - better than old syncing options.
On the other hand, having all my passwords stored in the cloud doesn't seem smart from a security perspective!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next.

--shift studio.
That is really odd that your's doesn't have that option. I can't figure out why that would be. Maybe email them and ask?

I did get the subscription for several family members this past Christmas. It allows up to 5 family members to use the software and they can use it on a Mac, Windows, and Phone. So in that regard it was a pretty good deal.

I’m about one 1Password “upgrade” from switching to the Apple keychain for my secure password storage. $65 is a lot to pay for a single user license for password storage, and it’s no more secure fhan the place you store your “vault” or your emergency recovery codes (which is likely Dropbox or iCloud).

The Apple keychain doesn’t work for Windows, or Linux, unfortunately, but there are workarounds.

Back