Candy Wrapper Modeling Tutorial

Hi everyone,

A while back, I wanted to make some tutorials to share some knowledge that I have gained over my years of using Cheetah 3D (I also just wanted to give back in some way to the community because ya'll are so supportive and cool). I decided to do a modeling tutorial about how to model a candy wrapper because it looks fairly complex but is actually a pretty straightforward build with only a few modifiers needed, at least with this approach. I'm not sure if this is the easiest way to do this but it was the most clear path I could see that also showcases a few basic modeling techniques like subdivisions and modifiers.

This is aimed at beginners but I would love some feedback on my presentation style and approach or any other thoughts. I plan to do a second tutorial about texturing and lighting the scene if anybody would be interested. Also this is the same channel as before but I just changed the name.

Cheers and enjoy!

Very nice tutorial. (y)(y)

This is a good project to use two other tools : The Soft Selection tool and the Brush tool.

I left the ball in place as a guide for editing the wrapper, using the Brush Tool
to pull the wrapper out from between the folds where I can still see the ball.

Keep up the good work, we can always use more tutorials.

Lolipop Wrapper.jpg

Ahh thanks Zoohead, I really appreciate hearing that.

Yes! I definitely thought about using the soft selection and brush tools as well and figured you could probably get a similar result. I think that could be a good followup tutorial because those are really handy sculpting tools!

I will definitely keep on it and probably release another tutorial about lighting and texturing this build as well.

Cheers!

:whistle: Thank you for composing this tutorial.
:) Dynamics is less than intuitive for most of us (including me), so I hope that you find the time and inclination to publish a few more samples.
* Greetings across the Big Pond from Vienna, EU.

Anything using Dynamics requires a lot of trial and error as MMounteer indicates, but it's fun.

Sometimes a parameter has no effect in certain situations, like Mass.
I believe Mass matters with Effectors and interaction with other objects.

Changing it doesn't seem to have any effect here so the default setting works fine.

I got it in my head to do a transparent wrapper and it's much harder to get something that looks good.
This is a composite of two rendered images. Happy Holidays!

Wrapper comp.jpg

@Helmut Thanks for the comment! I would be happy to post something about the Dynamics tag in Cheetah. I completely understand how it could be confusing if you don't have a lot of experience with it. I liked the idea of using it for crumpling thin material like wrappers but like Zoohead said, it's a fun way to get some "naturally" occurring deformations that will probably be simulated differently depending on how you position things. I will definitely make something about the Dynamics tag.

@ZooHead Ahh okay good to know. I wasn't aware that the Dynamics tag had anything to do with Effectors, thanks for pointing that out. I love what you did with a transparent wrapper, I think I'll give that a go when I do lighting and materials for the next tutorial.

Thanks for both of your feedback! I really appreciate it and I will try to do a lighting/texturing tutorial soon!

MMounteer,
Thank you for this tutorial - I put it to use in creating a Baby Blanket Bundle for a little "Congratulations" animation I did for my Niece, who gave birth to a baby boy last Thursday. The animation had a Stork flying with a baby in a baby blanket bundle in its' mouth, clouds floating in the background, then a close up of the baby waving and wiggling its' feet - and added music of a Glockenspiel playing "Rock a Bye Baby"...

I used a rigid body tag on squashed sphere and a Soft body tag with similar parameters as you used in your video, on the plane I used for the blanket. Then I did some tuning with a bulge modifier, a little taper, then a Twist modifier to get the twist at the top (I forgot to keep copies of some of my testing objects before I removed the soft body tag).

I got the baby model and stork model as Free, from SketchFab...

Cheetah3D Screenshot from my testing of the baby blanket bundle and final blanket bundle:
BabyBlanketBundle.png

Screenshot From finished video:

BabyCongratulationsVideo.png

MMounteer,
Thank you for this tutorial - I put it to use in creating a Baby Blanket Bundle for a little "Congratulations" animation I did for my Niece, who gave birth to a baby boy last Thursday. The animation had a Stork flying with a baby in a baby blanket bundle in its' mouth, clouds floating in the background, then a close up of the baby waving and wiggling its' feet - and added music of a Glockenspiel playing "Rock a Bye Baby"...

I used a rigid body tag on squashed sphere and a Soft body tag with similar parameters as you used in your video, on the plane I used for the blanket. Then I did some tuning with a bulge modifier, a little taper, then a Twist modifier to get the twist at the top (I forgot to keep copies of some of my testing objects before I removed the soft body tag).

I got the baby model and stork model as Free, from SketchFab...

Cheetah3D Screenshot from my testing of the baby blanket bundle and final blanket bundle:
View attachment 37869

Screenshot From finished video:

View attachment 37870
I love that this tutorial came in handy and you certainly pulled it off nicely, excellent job! I like that you used a squished sphere to simulate the cloth around so it would match the baby model, that was the kind of flexibility with this method I was going for. Anyway, this is a cute composition and congratulations to your family!

I love that this tutorial came in handy and you certainly pulled it off nicely, excellent job! I like that you used a squished sphere to simulate the cloth around so it would match the baby model, that was the kind of flexibility with this method I was going for. Anyway, this is a cute composition and congratulations to your family!
Thank you.

Back