Edge Bevel

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I have been involved in the Cheetah community but I am back at it
with the new Cheetah update and a new (to me) MacBook.

In refreshing my knowledge and familiarizing myself with the tools and options, I began
working on a ring design, (attached) but for the life of me, could not get the edges of the
finger hole to bevel. That edge is partially highlighted in red.

I constructed all of this with boolean operations and then reduced it to a single polygon so
is this part of the problem?

My thanks in advance and excited to be back.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 10.14.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 10.14.13 PM.png
    392.4 KB · Views: 238
Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I have been involved in the Cheetah community but I am back at it
with the new Cheetah update and a new (to me) MacBook.

In refreshing my knowledge and familiarizing myself with the tools and options, I began
working on a ring design, (attached) but for the life of me, could not get the edges of the
finger hole to bevel. That edge is partially highlighted in red.

I constructed all of this with boolean operations and then reduced it to a single polygon so
is this part of the problem?

My thanks in advance and excited to be back.
The Boolean operation will use Creases, that's the blue lines,
to make one object out of multiple object that don't have the
same number of points at the edges.

So dissimilar objects are joined with a hard edge, which makes
n-gons and tris all over the place. To use the Bevel Tool you need
quads, with a smooth flowing structure across the edge.

It looks like you used cylinders for boolean subtraction.
Using discs with shell modifier instead allows for a more advantageous geometry.
It needs some fiddling with the disc, bend and transform modifiers in order to fit the ring structure into the hole.
Then the thing can be collapsed, center deleted, ring cut for finer bevel, delete again, close geometry with bridge tool, select inner rings and extrude a bit with normal move.

bevelring.gif

Edit:
Maybe easier: use your original setting and after boolean subtraction delete the new geometry and use "Fill Hole" tool to get a single polygon.
Then use inner extrude. This may require some manual repair of points being too close causing problems, use optimize or weld tools.

screenshot.png

Attachments

• ringbevel.jas.zip
    47.7 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
:oops: Great stuff by the resident Cheetah gurus!
:rolleyes: Once more, this is proof that C3D provides flexible and powerful tools under the bonnet of a sparse, intuitive and “simplistic” GUI.

The nice part about ZooHead's solution is it concentrates only on the outside of the ring.

Once the exterior is correct, Use the shell modifier to create the interior so you could adjust the thickness before converting it to polygons. Then delete the interior latitude lines so that the 'tunnel' is a straight cylinder, and bevel both edges of the shell's depth.

A.jpgB.jpgC.jpgD.jpg

The previous iteration has led to a breakthrough.
Notice the edge of the disk shaped protrusion,
it's not a combination of all points at the edge of both objects.
Look at the edge of the image posted before the last one,
All the points are there, it works but it's messy.

The beveled edge Boolean.

Beveled Edge Boolean.jpg

My take at merging the edits by hand (no booleans, no spherify).

I built the shell by starting with 2 spheres, and splitting a single loop from one to serve as the jewel mount.
Then I rotated the other one enough to let the latitude lines serve as the tunnel opening. I edited one half of both rings, deleting the polygons that overlapped each other created polygons to fill the holes between the two shapes once they were merged. Then I mirrored the other half, deleting overlaps again, merged them, and filled the space with enough polygons to keep the surface smooth, with as simple a geometry as I could manage. Then I used Shell to build the interior and Bevel to smooth the tunnel openings.

I still see one geometry glitch I can simplify.

ring2020.jpg

I built the shell by starting with 2 spheres . . .
You just gave me another idea:
Using the ring modifier to join three 60° (boolean) sphere sections .
After deleting the inner faces they can be immediately merged and welded per optimize.

screenshot.jpg

Btw I wonder why these things start to look like napkins?

Attachments

• ring3.jas.zip
    61 KB · Views: 184
I hope we didn't overwhelm you Rick82.

I'm sure any of us will be glad to take you
through the steps of a particular technique.

I have been wanting to bevel after a Boolean for some time and I'm stoked it can be done.
It still requires some fiddling but it has been minimal.
Here's another test using a cube to start with.

bevel_after_bool.gif

Back