Select and split mesh

Hi, need some tips here; how do I select all windows at once and split them from the frames? Without selecting them one by one

Attachments

• Window+Frame.jas.zip
    133.8 KB · Views: 187
I don't see an easy way to do it. With all those windows being part of one single huge polygon object, selecting polygons seems to be the only way to pull them apart. I don't know of a way to select polygons based upon their material.

I selected one of the window frame polygons and used Expand Selection a few times to get as much of the frame as I could, then I Split the six polygons that made up the window pane into their own object, I used Get Info and learned that the polygons didn't make up a watertight object. I used Optimize on them and those polygons successfully connected themselves into a solid object, so everything was in the right place, but each pane is not connected into a single window pane object.

The simplest way I can see to do this is to select the front and back panes of each window, use Tools > Polygon > Split to break them out into their own object, then use the Bridge Tool to join the front back planes. But that will still leave some garbage polygons (the edges of the windowpanes) in the original object.

I don't see an easy way to do it. With all those windows being part of one single huge polygon object, selecting polygons seems to be the only way to pull them apart. I don't know of a way to select polygons based upon their material.

I selected one of the window frame polygons and used Expand Selection a few times to get as much of the frame as I could, then I Split the six polygons that made up the window pane into their own object, I used Get Info and learned that the polygons didn't make up a watertight object. I used Optimize on them and those polygons successfully connected themselves into a solid object, so everything was in the right place, but each pane is not connected into a single window pane object.

The simplest way I can see to do this is to select the front and back panes of each window, use Tools > Polygon > Split to break them out into their own object, then use the Bridge Tool to join the front back planes. But that will still leave some garbage polygons (the edges of the windowpanes) in the original object.
I guess I have to do it manually :eek:

* What I would do:
* Select the vertical window. Split. Select the glass panel and split.
* Select the windows of the ground floor. Split.
* Select the glass panels of this and split.
* Create a mini hierarchy, ie frames + glass panels.
* Apply an array modifier, 8 items with offset 1.2.

Back