UV Painting Project and Hellboy build

Usually I'd cheat the hell out of it and use some tricks a certain other app has to offer.

The next approach would be to create half a capsule out of a quadball (for example subdivide a cube till it's fully rounded, cut in half, and bevel your half-capsule out of it). Already that would be a lot more easy than using a standard capsule for the boolean (I would probably use an intersect on the capsule, clean that up, and then connect the dots with a cylinder that has those polys deleted where the capsule fits in). The cylinder I'd prepare beforehand so there are enough edges to connect).

But for you and for you only, I did it the hardest way (I don't like guns, so I probably will not model one if not necessary, so I don't know what I will do with this thing): Boolean with a standard capsule, then cleaning up.

It took me a little bit more then strictly necessary, because, of course, I bungled it and didn't have the right amount of sides, could have used a few insets on the face of the cylinder and so on. I didn't even cheat with the pole ... that middle-point was outside from the cylinder (because it's not right in the middle from the pictures I looked at, and the new center was exactly on the border. That I had to change ...). Having it lined up with the border of the cylinder would already have been much easier (it wasn't lined up that properly anyways). So I had some vertices to push around and it cost me more than an hour (which is plain too much for something like this). Looking at it, I see 2 edges that aren't necessary, especially that one which creates two tris ... Well, so it's almost all-quad ;) (I didn't bother with the poles anyway).

Bildschirmfoto 2020-12-09 um 12.49.42 1.jpg

That looks pretty good, as I would expect from you.
While you where doing that I did 3 or 4 tests like this one with a non watertight modified capsule.

If I could only figure how to modify the capsule to complete the bevel all around.

mod_capsule.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist and did the 5 Minute-Version (expected. Actually it took me more). It's rounder than it looks from this viewpoint (one vertice I could move down a bit), no pinching or so, it's still strictly in the bounds of the original cylinder.

If I would use it for something, I'd use more polys, but that would somehow counteract the reason for doing it. This way it's visible what I did: Simple boxmodeling: create cylinder, bevel, push around some verts... And far less of a hassle than with booleans.

zylinder.jpg

That's the way I did it the first time when I started building the cylinder.

Very fast, but the SubDiv Catmull - Clark does something
very annoying if you want a complete and perfect curve.

At the end of a curve the last segment is straight, not on the curve vector anymore.

As I said, push that thing down a little bit (in your case rather inside). With more polys you get a better form (and it should always be that one vertice you have to move). Of course it stays a wee bit blocky as long as you have a reasonably light mesh, but in most cases you can't see it anymore as soon as you put that one vertice in.

The perfect form you get, when you cut the cylinder and the capsule apart, but that's already too much hassle for most cases.

No matter how much you tweak it, to my eye it looks wrong for this model.
I can tell it doesn't match a cut with a ball end mill.

A Boolean with a capsule does. So I chose that route, with all
associated problems, as long as I get the result I'm after.

By the way Has, I appreciate your participation despite your conscientious objection. ;)

Now it's hammer time.

This is a somewhat sculptural piece.

Hammer Time.jpg

(I'm moderate anti-gun, so it's no big deal to model a part of a cylinder. I know and like some people who own guns and understand their special reasons. But guns are too easy available for people who are not suited to have access to something deadly, and some experiences over the years were not inclined to change my views about guns (a friend was shot to death (which doesn't happen very often in our country), I walked into a fight where a crazed out junkie aimed a pistol in my face (man, was I angry), and a few others, one with a police officer who certainly was better trained than any from the U.S. but not enough)

And I like this new all-quad-part very well ;) .

Edit: P.S. And on a totally neutral geometrical level I understand very well why one want's to model it. There are some interesting forms that are a challenge to (re-)create them.

I understand completely, I like guns, I just don't like people with guns
who have anger/control/mental issues or have criminal intent.
Unfortunately they are the ones you hear about most often.

Over here we send our kids to summer camp and teach them
how to use a bow and a rifle and make horrible arts and crafts.

Of course working for the movie industry you can't be
choosy about what you make if you want to keep working.

Hellboy was a comic book before it was a movie.
He was created by Dark Horse Comics and put on the screen by Guillermo del Toro.
Comic books represent the only remaining original story lines in popular movies now.
Left to it's own, Hollywood would rather rehash some tired vampire trash.

The SAMARITAN gun lore was enhanced by del Toro, such as
the hand grip that was made from a piece or the true cross.

Here's a shot with the hammer.

Samaritan.jpg

(I don't have a problem with guns in fantasy worlds or movies, I even like some violent movies like Tarantino's or Fargo etc. I wouldn't have a problem modeling a gun for a movie, a comic, some historical image, whatever. They do exist, they are part of our reality if we like it or not. What I don't want is modeling one for fun, have it as the hero object in a picture because that would be a pic for those gun nuts like those you're probably afraid of at the moment in your country. I truly believe that the majority of people has some anger / control / mental issues, and the rest can come very fast into a situation where such issues arise. That someone is sane today doesn't mean he or she can't be totally bonkers tomorrow because of some trauma, depression or whatever. This year alone a lot of people that were acting completely normal have gone off the rails, sadly some of my friends and acquaintances, too.

About movies: I don't think that the umpteenth marvel or dc movie is original in the least (del Toro's Hellboy I like, of course. Ron Pearlman is perfect in this role as in a lot of his others). While I agree, that most new pictures are crap, it's imho not as bad as it has been. There are some (more or less) recent movies, that are good, some even excellent, that don't have their roots in comics, like 3 Billbords Outside Ebbing Missouri, Nightcrawler, Prisoners, the Mule (Eastwood may have lost half his mind, but not as a director or an actor), the already a bit older (but newer than Hellboy) No Country For Old Men and of course a ton of biopics (that may not all, depict reality quite faithful but still are very entertaining) which are still in trend (The Imitation Game (there are quite some mistakes), Trumbo, Lincoln, Black Mass, J. Edgar and on and on). There are not many movies based on comic books that come to my mind and are very original ...)

Sorry about derailing.

Your model looks very well overall, but yes, I have seen it: The pole on the underside of the hammer grip at the side causes some pinching, maybe something irregular a little bit further down (the part in the shadow where the hammer meets the cylinder, left)). At this point it's not that easy to chase the spider away, but in the meantime you probably already have done it ... I would like to see the new wire.

Edit: P.S. And on a totally neutral geometrical level I understand very well why one want's to model it. There are some interesting forms that are a challenge to (re-)create them.
I used to work for a photographer who was also a competitive marksman, traveling to competitions all over the country. One day he had to fly out at noon, so he brought his favorite handgun into the office - in a customized metal suitcase/lockbox that literally had a chain for his wrist. I'm no fan of guns, especially handguns, but I do have to admit that this was the single most impressive piece of machined hardware I have ever held in my hands. Every piece that could move had an incredibly solid and satisfying click to it, that you could almost feel all the way up your arm. Not a scratch, not a flaw. It was truly stunning. I asked him how much it cost and he said he had spent a lot customizing it so he didn't actually know, but if he sold it, he could probably buy a pretty decent car with the money - and his definition of "decent" was far steeper than mine.

Intricate, handmade craftsmanship is one of my very favorite things, but every once in a while a machine-made piece can knock my socks off.

Samaritan_pinching.jpg

Exactly where the 5-star-pole is. Looking at your wire, it shouldn't necessarily be visible (it's very small, actually, but I see it in both pics).

@MonkeyT: Absolutely true. Even normal guns without customized work are show a lot of craftsmanship one has to admire. I wish other stuff would have the same quality and precision (say, your fridge would last for ever and a day).

View attachment 36922
Exactly where the 5-star-pole is. Looking at your wire, it shouldn't necessarily be visible (it's very small, actually, but I see it in both pics).

Totally intentional, at a transition from a tight radius to a larger radius I would expected that.
If you did it with files and maybe a flex shaft tool it might look like that, or more likely like this:

HB hammer.jpg

I did not want to copy that part that way.
So it turned out this way:

Radius Change.jpg

Then it's simply perfect :). Very good resource, by the way (something I'm struggling with sometimes, to find the necessary details).

(Although I wouldn't have copied that part of a film prop)

No reason to be sorry, and it's not important. It's just that I thought that the photography is of a film prop never intended to be seen from such a short distance, and I myself wouldn't have recreated that imperfection (I thought that something like this would be made of one piece). But that's no criticism, it's your choice, and therefore right. Could have been something you have overseen.

You know, I admire your meshes (the only real critique is that you often abandon them. Still waiting for your bicycle) and that you always try to find new ways to do something, most of the time producing very clean all-quad meshes (or something with booleans :p), which I like to see. It's always interesting to see wireframes from someone who really knows modeling.

(And by the way, I sometimes still lose myself in unnecessary details or modeling a part that never will be in a picture (the excuse is usually, maybe I'll use that same model later on for something else), so I am in no position to criticize such decisions even if I wanted to).

Now I understand what you mean.

They will always make multiple copies of a hero gun, the hero gun itself and a few stunt guns at least.
The stunt guns get beat up and in the case of Hellboy the stunt guns where machined out of hard rubber.

The Hero gun itself is carefully handled for close ups and other shots.
And after all the work they put into it, you know there
will be closeups, maybe not that close though.

But the picture is from a Youtube video of a replica made by model maker Adam Savage, way after the movie was made.
I don't know what the original hero gun was made from but this guy is making it mostly from aluminum.

Trivia: The Samaritan plans I found on the internet are marked as 20mm caliber which is just plain wrong.

PS: I make no promise to finish anything, unless I'm being paid of course.
This is all about learning and experimentation in a safe place for me.
And when I reach my intended goal, which may be way before completion,
I am no longer driven by that goal. I loose steam, as with the bicycle.

Thank you for your appreciation though. It makes me want to continue and finish.

Back