UV Painting Project and Hellboy build

No problem, here's a screen shot from the last image.
The jpeg is 1.2 megs and PS file itself is 45 megs.

This about 1/4 original size.

HB scratch bump screen.jpg

Here's how the UV lines look after using the UV Mapper and also moved to final locations.
Use the Group Select Tool, set to UVs, and click on them in either the UV edit window or 3d view.

uv_pdf.gif

Very clean model, as usual. Something seems to be a bit off, though, but I'm not sure if it's intended: the rounded parts down left doesn't seem fully rounded. But that's nitpicking (and something I wouldn't even mention if the model wasn't that well made).

Very clean model, as usual. Something seems to be a bit off, though, but I'm not sure if it's intended: the rounded parts down left doesn't seem fully rounded. But that's nitpicking (and something I wouldn't even mention if the model wasn't that well made).
If your looking at the fluting, it's an older version of the cylinder.
I wondered if anyone would notice and say something, my money was on you. ;)

I have to admit to being lazy. I should have added the final cylinder for all of these renders.
Here's one with the updated cylinder. I can still see some "teeth" on part of the
flute edge at this close range due to the unorthodox method I used.

HB Prop prog 04.jpg

I wondered if anyone would notice and say something, my money was on you. ;)

I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

And I guess those "teeth" come from "making editable" a bit too early (at least, on my ipad I haven't seen them). Hard to repair on a dense mesh without subdiv.

The teeth come from the Boolean and subsequent creation
of a bevel between the Boolean subtraction and the model.

It was easier to edit than I thought it would be.

This breaks so many rules I think I'm in Cheetah Quantum theory here.

Tooth Problem:

tooth problem.jpg

Tooth Solution:

tooth solution.jpg

Result:

HB Prop prog 05.jpg

This is why I don't use booleans very often: all the cleaning up to get an all-quad-model (which I probably would do in such a case). But there are no rules in poly-modeling (no subdiv), and for subdiv-modeling it's more guidelines than a rule you have to follow.

Even while I advocate all-quad-modeling, there are a few exceptions (very view) where you end up with a tri you can't get rid off or (even more seldom) with a ngon that looks perfectly well but as soon as you cut it up, you'd have to remodel half the mesh because of serious pinching or so (in such situations, though, I sometimes go back to an early version of the model to do the whole stuff anew, this time trying to avoid the ngon-situation. With tris I usually can live).

Long ago I realized any flat area can have tris or ngons without consequence when box modeling.
(All tris and ngons are turned into quads under the magic of Catmull and Clark.)
Even so I always try to make all quads if for no other reason than better loop and ring selection.

But this is the first time I've tried this technique and I learn
more if I push the envelope to the breaking point.

Subdividing once I sometimes use when I have a part of a model that needs denser geometry than the rest - it's a cheat, not always that clean, but most of the time you spare a lot of time with that. But even on flat surfaces I get rid of ngons (because you never know if there isn't that slight difference between some verts).

With "this technique" do you mean not cleaning (much) up after a boolean?

See post #6
Technique: Adding a bevel around a Boolean Subtraction.

Create Boolean.
Make Boolean editable.
Select Booleaned area and Cover.
Scale selection.
Set to Normal Break.
Select edges and Crease.

Some editing required of course.

Yes, but usually you'd do more or less the same, except that you would clean up the model right after the boolean, i. e. change it to an all-quad-mesh (more or less) and then edge bevel. Is this new approach really faster?

I'd like to see you do that.

My approach is to try anything I can think of and Booleans
always seem to be a time saver but often with complications.

The problem is making the perfect shape of the Capsule in quads is non trivial.
Maybe you could use a capsule as a guide for point placement
but it's already more complicated that way.

Here's a look at Cheetah's Global Wireframe view.
It shows what Cheetah does to keep things in place.

It looks like a bunch of bracing tacked on.
It looks ugly like the bottom of my car, but it's not seen.
It doesn't mean I don't want a clean car bottom but It's a lower priority.

global_wireframe.gif

Back