UV Painting Project and Hellboy build

@MonkeyT Unfortunately the Gaussian not only made the scratch
look wider it introduced some orange color for some reason.

No problem. I'm happy with what I've got going anyway.

Use saturation controls on the layer to desaturate it back to a true neutral gray. Very often, when I'm working with fine details like this, I convert to LAB color and work solely on the Lightness plate, which is truly B&W. RGB / LAB / RGB conversion is lossless, just remember to always tell Photoshop to keep layers.

Hello,

The max texture size UVs is far greater than 2048 x 2048 pixels.

On March 3, 2019 Martin wrote…

"The 2048x2048 limititation is just for the OpenGL 3D preview. The renderers always use the full resolution of the texture."

I may not have the encoding of the reference link correct, but…
< https://www.cheetah3d.com/forum/index.php?threads/13230/#post-115477 >

I routinely use UV textures far larger than 2048x2048 when appropriate. Appropriate would be for objects that are going to be very close to the camera on a very large render.

cheers,
gsb

Now we're cookin. I doubled the map to 4266 and used the pencil at one pixel again.
Much better, the old scratches are more like from random sand grain scratches.

This is why this forum is so great, I would never have
gotten this far without the nudging and nitpicking. 🥳

HB HiRes scratch test.jpg

This is why this forum is so great, I would never have
gotten this far without the nudging and nitpicking. 🥳

Ha, you don't know how much of hard work that is!

About the meandering scratches I agree (as mentioned before). For scratches, rust and other such signs of usage you have to think about how they got there, especially with a gun which is something you rather keep clean.

(and thanks to "gsb". I even tried the forum search, but couldn't find that important piece of information).

Reactions: gsb
I just watched the first Hellboy movie again to find any shots with the Samaritan in it.
The first time you see it, there's a very nice full side shot.
I'm going to follow that image for final finishing.

Here are some final updates. I added a small screw and some other anticipated details to the barrel object.
I erased most of the meandering scratches and toned down the background patina.

Some screws are colored silver to follow the original movie prop.

HB final test 02.jpg

@ZooHead , Some really nice work.

Some thoughts for consideration:
The sheen on the wood handle looks waxy or plastic. Combined with the strong weight of the metal, I envision for the handle the deep texture of wood with an oiled-rubbed finish. The wear-and-tear on the metal could apply to the handle as well

PS. Great to learn about Rub'n Buff. I have a picture frame I want to dress up.

Last edited:
Thanks @jdmac I'm still working on the metal parts, but I'll pay more attention to the grip eventually.

Rub and Buff looks like a great tool for finishing 3D prints, now I really want a 3D printer.

The wood uv you should reconsider. The direction on the last row of polys one can clearly see is wrong. One probably wouldn't see it if that row would also belong to the upper part of the handle.

Back