Attention: Metal, Big Sur and Apple Silicon

@Ca Rei
I agree with Helmut. With two additions: Not to agree with someone isn't the same as not understanding. The other thing is, please stop spitting your venom in here.

* As you are convinced of the superiority of your views there is no point to participate in your self-righteous supremacist monologue.
Deepl-Übersetzung: "Da Sie von der Überlegenheit Ihrer Ansichten überzeugt sind, hat es keinen Sinn, sich an Ihrem selbstgerechten Monolog über die Vormachtstellung zu beteiligen."

Eigentlich gehört euch Beiden gehörig der Hintern versohlt, wie bei ungezogenen Kindern *lach*. Gleichzeitig verwundert es mich wie zwei Leute simultan Opfer ihrer eigenen Vorverurteilungen werden und sich auch noch zusammenschließen, was es nur noch schlimmer macht.

Vormachtstellung?? Überlegenheit?? Ich habe garnicht in dieser Richtung gedacht bzw. geschrieben, liegt es am Englisch (?) möglich, liegt es an euren Vorstellungen allgegenwärtiger steter Konkurrenz. Ich habe wirklich keine Ahnung welcher Teufel euch hier geritten hat.

Ich lasse Euch mit der Frage "Könntet ihr Euch vieleicht fatal geirrt haben?" allein.

* Do i notice a faint whiff of paranoid persecution mania in your accusations?
* In my analysis, we simply hold different beliefs, as is the very essence of a democracy. The freedom of opinion is protected by Art 5 GG and Art 11 / Treaty of Lisbon in the EU.

* @Martin / @Frank: I suggest that this poster be banned from the C3D forum. This has deteriorated into personal hate mail conducted by an autocratic crusader.

Also, please don't forget, that different minds work differently. I don't buy "inspiration needs time" or "creativity needs boredom". Of course, I had good ideas under the shower or shortly before I fell asleep, as everyone else, but, luckily, that's not the only way to get them. Often I have them instantly when I need them. Or they come when I play around with forms or words, or when I write down what the thing I have to do actually should accomplish (idea or not, when I work for example on a Logo, that's always the way to start). And if I draw a blank I do work on something completely different, read or even watch a movie. When the brain is (seemingly) occupied with other stuff, the subconscious has time to cook something up. And the last resolution is this: "Do you have any idea?" to my wife. And sometimes, yes, it takes some time (if you don't have to be finished in a certain time frame it's ok. If you have a deadline you simply don't have time for that). But if I am actually bored (which is almost never), I fall asleep.
Hasdrubal, I enjoyed reading about your creative process. Many years ago, the very best class that I ever took for my engineering degree was called "Creativity for Engineering Design." It was an elective class, but should have been required. The textbook for the class was called "Synectics,: The Development of Creative Capacity." by William J. J. Gordon. I still see used copies available. It sounds like you are already using many of the processes, and I think you would very much enjoy the book.

Hasdrubal, I enjoyed reading about your creative process. Many years ago, the very best class that I ever took for my engineering degree was called "Creativity for Engineering Design." It was an elective class, but should have been required. The textbook for the class was called "Synectics,: The Development of Creative Capacity." by William J. J. Gordon. I still see used copies available. It sounds like you are already using many of the processes, and I think you would very much enjoy the book.

While that book now made it on my somewhat long list of books to get and read, I'm not so sure when and even if I will get it. It's certainly interesting but not really a problem for me.

You see, the "creative process"I described is just a part of all the things I can do which somewhat differ from randomly as well as depending on the goal. It's a bit more complex than that. I myself don't see it as a "creative process" at all, as I do not make a fuss about creativity. It's rather a problem solving process that can be used for everything. One favorite of mine was for example, especially for rather complex problems, to find someone who doesn't have a clue about the matter, not in the least. That works especially well if there is a danger from you being trapped in a box or when outside of the box still is another box (and so on). Try to explain the problem to such a person, make it understandable for him or her, and before that happen's, you at least very often can say. "Thank you very much, you helped me a great deal." The person will look at you in bewilderment for sure, and it's not that nice, but it works just through explaining. In some cases that person will ask a question you'd never have thought of, which will help you to find a solution. Very seldom, but it happened, that someone said something that would be stupid but because it's totally out of the box gave me the idea of a solution.

Also, Rei's solution of low tech works imho because it's also a technique to solve problems of any kind: Limit your options. Because it's difficult to find the right one in a gadzillion of ideas, and you can get lost indeed. (Just leave that part out with waiting and dreaming of world domination). For example with texts or images it's absolutely necessary to cater to the target group (which is limiting your options). Time frame and budget are limitations as well. And so on.

Frankly, one thing on my long list of things I'd want to do one day (and which is certainly too long to achieve all of it) would be writing a book about problem solving. Because almost everything I have seen till now somewhat jumps over of the part how you'll get the right ideas you can start with. Also one important step usually isn't stressed enough (even if it's usually there): What kind of problems can my solution create? In terms of pictures that would be: What messages would be transported in that idea as well? How can it be interpreted in other ways? That's one of the reasons why I try to keep it simple.

Actually I could go on and on about this, because even that is rather a small part of my problem solving toolset.

I think who-ever makes a metal-based 3d suite for iOS / iPad / ... is going to clean up, especially if they are ready for XR when Apple launches their headset. They'll have first mover advantage, sell a ton of copies to developers (who are now a huge market of themselves), and get to sell upgrades and subscriptions like crazy (as Apple iterates on their initial product and people discover new use-cases).

I've played with some very primitive 3d editors on the Oculus, and while they are still barely toys, the possibilities are simply stupendous. Being able to reach out a grab part of a model while standing in front of it is amazing.

Why a "suite"? The only serious 3D products on the iPad are one-trick "sketch a model" tools with expensive subscriptions that are great for producing a 3D swoosh but horrible for placing a box with the right dimensions in the right place, and have no scene management, animation, texturing, or automation capabilities.

Maybe we should stop trying to tell Martin what he has to do and instead trust in his abilities that he can very well decide for himself what the best approach will be to keep Cheetah alive. And I am pretty sure he has put some thought into these possibilities.

As intelligent, gifted and dedicated as he is, he is just one man who works on this (probably) part time (on top of that he is also a very decent guy who never showed any sign of greed, so I doubt he will like the idea of a subscription service for rendering you proposed in another thread). I do not think that he just can put in more time to do yet more work (it already takes quite a while to port Cheetah to metal and the new silicon). The risk is his, he is the only one who really can estimate how much work this would involve, how much investment and so on.

Also, I suspect that in the near future iPadOS and MacOS will be more or less the same or at least the iPad Pros will use MacOS. In the long run it doesn't make any sense to have something with that actual computer power running on something different.

Can we get back to the topic, please, and talk about when we'll have native AS and Metal support in Cheetah3D? :)

When will we have it? It's been almost 2 years now. That's a REALLY LONG time in software years. Maybe the question should be, will we have it? Is Cheetah3D ever going to make the transition?

When will we have it? It's been almost 2 years now. That's a REALLY LONG time in software years. Maybe the question should be, will we have it? Is Cheetah3D ever going to make the transition?

As my crystal ball is somewhat clouded I do not know the answer. But whatever 3d dcc app you use (with the exception of Blender sometimes) such changes can take a very long time indeed, especially if it's a one man show and there isn't any help from Adobe. As it is very few apps made that transition fully.

Changes in 3ds max, Maya, Modo, C4d can go over sever several iterations. These packages mostly have gone the way of subscription while we don't pay a thing till Martin gets the next version out. And 7 has seen a lot of changes (albeit not those promised llike sss or so, but I can understand the reasons).

Also, it didn't stop working. We still can use it, we certainly got what we paid for, and if these changes do not come fast enough for some, they'll have to move on.

Back