Tilly Lamp

I am at present trying to render a Tilly Lamp (a parafin fueled storm lantern) I modelled the lamp in SketchUp - imported it as a 3ds file and added certain materials, BUT I'm stuggling to get the right affect. The glass is a bit "lifeless" to me and the shadows after a long battle with various alterations on lighing are still a bit stark! I attached an image of the latest Render and the file if anybody would like to have a go, I'm sure that the more experienced out there will come up with a better solution.
The Lamp is lit with 2 area lights at right angles to each other (this gave the best result so far?) and the mantle (the burning element) has a emissve material to give a "brightness" ( the area lights are inside that).
I'm using Cheetah 3D 6.3.2

Attachments

• TillyLamp(best).jpg
    TillyLamp(best).jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 234
Thanks! I won't be able to tinker until tonight (at the earliest), but I'll work with it and see what I come up with a material that helps.

The glow (light bloom) isn't really achievable in Cheetah - nor in most other 3d apps. They do it in in-built post. For cheetah you have to use the photoeditor of your choice.

Sometimes you have to simplify the scene, remove whatever you don't need.
Yes I was aware that that was probably why, but to be honest it's pretty simple already, just the lamp, two walls and a floor. I think my mistake was to do the lamp in SketchUp with way too many polygons?

The tip about simplifying the scene was for uploading it in the forum.

There are some disadvantages in having to dense meshes (i. e. too many polygons) but rendering isn't one of them as long as the computer doesn't run out of memory.

OK, here's my shot. It's a hack, but it's a groovy, math-laden hack. All rendered, no post-processing.

2020 Glowing Lamp studio.jpg

It seems that I have managed to put an object around the light sources (which is what I attempted), but actually, the effect comes from the material of the glass surrounding the light sources. It's the CGI equivalent of an optical illusion, and the only reason it works is geometry.

Some of you know that in my toying with custom Materials, I've been experimenting with a property of the State Node called I•N (which means "the dot product of the Incidence and Normal vectors"). The gist of that property is that if a surface faces the camera's raytracing vector, I•N = 1, but if it is perpendicular to the raytracing vector, I•N = 0. Think of yourself standing on the shoreline of a calm lake. If you look down near your feet, you can see through the water to the sand and rocks beneath the surface. But the farther out you look at the water, the more it reflects the sky, hiding whatever is underneath the surface. That's how I•N works.

So, since the light sources within the lamp are exactly in the center of a cylinder, whenever you look at the light source, you are looking through polygons of the cylinder that almost directly face you. So, If I used the Emissive property of the glass material, the polygons between the camera and the light sources would glow, brightly if they were directly between, and less brightly as they became less directly aligned between them. (This will work when you are viewing centered lights through the side of a cylinder, or through any part of a sphere. ) The trick is that if I made the glass 100% transparent, it lost all the reflective/specular characteristics of the glass material, but anything less exposed the Diffuse color wherever it wasn't glowing. So, in the end, I needed to use the I•N property twice: once for the Emissive property, and once for the Transparency Property.

Note: leaving anything but a 1.0 IIndex of Refraction has a serious impact on the combination of Transparency and Emissive properties.

When I experimented with it, mixing them in equal portions didn't look good, so I divided the I•N value by 2 so that it would never be more than have a value greater than 0.5, and I use a Gradient Filter to customize the Transparency property, to help mostly-hide non-glowing parts of the Material. While tinkering, I discovered that exposing the Emissive characteristics on both the directly facing polygons AND the almost tangential polygons improved the glow effect.

The final secret is to use a Render tag! By unchecking the "visible in shadows" property, the not-quite-as-transparent-as-I-would-prefer glass material casts no shadows!

In this model, I used two different variants of this Material: one on the glass, and one on a Capsule object meant to add some slightly more physical aspect to the two Area Lights.

2020 Glowing Lamp.jpg2020 Glowing Lamp mat.jpg

Enjoy!

Attachments

• 2020 Glowing Lamp.zip
    46.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
OK, here's my shot. It's a hack, but it's a groovy, math-laden hack. All rendered, no post-processing.

View attachment 36766

It seems that I have managed to put an object around the light sources (which is what I attempted), but actually, the effect comes from the material of the glass surrounding the light sources. It's the CGI equivalent of an optical illusion, and the only reason it works is geometry.

Some of you know that in my toying with custom Materials, I've been experimenting with a property of the State Node called I•N (which means "the dot product of the Incidence and Normal vectors"). The gist of that property is that if a surface faces the camera's raytracing vector, I•N = 1, but if it is perpendicular to the raytracing vector, I•N = 0. Think of yourself standing on the shoreline of a calm lake. If you look down near your feet, you can see through the water to the sand and rocks beneath the surface. But the farther out you look at the water, the more it reflects the sky, hiding whatever is underneath the surface. That's how I•N works.

So, since the light sources within the lamp are exactly in the center of a cylinder, whenever you look at the light source, you are looking through polygons of the cylinder that almost directly face you. So, If I used the Emissive property of the glass material, the polygons between the camera and the light sources would glow, brightly if they were directly between, and less brightly as they became less directly aligned between them. (This will work when you are viewing centered lights through the side of a cylinder, or through any part of a sphere. ) The trick is that if I made the glass 100% transparent, it lost all the reflective/specular characteristics of the glass material, but anything less exposed the Diffuse color wherever it wasn't glowing. So, in the end, I needed to use the I•N property twice: once for the Emissive property, and once for the Transparency Property.

Note: leaving anything but a 1.0 IIndex of Refraction has a serious impact on the combination of Transparency and Emissive properties.

When I experimented with it, mixing them in equal portions didn't look good, so I divided the I•N value by 2 so that it would never be more than have a value greater than 0.5, and I use a Gradient Filter to customize the Transparency property, to help mostly-hide non-glowing parts of the Material. While tinkering, I discovered that exposing the Emissive characteristics on both the directly facing polygons AND the almost tangential polygons improved the glow effect.

The final secret is to use a Render tag! By unchecking the "visible in shadows" property, the not-quite-as-transparent-as-I-would-prefer glass material casts no shadows!

In this model, I used two different variants of this Material: one on the glass, and one on a Capsule object meant to add some slightly more physical aspect to the two Area Lights.

View attachment 36764View attachment 36768

Enjoy!
Hi MonkeyT, that is brilliant stuff. I will attempt to aply this to my tilly lamp.

Hi MonkeyT, that is brilliant stuff. I will attempt to aply this to my tilly lamp.
Ok, so I instead of just copying the material that you made for the "glass" I studied what you had done (I wanted to make sure I understood what you had done in the node area of things) and replaced my glass material and made one like yours. I couldn't get the emissive material to work with my lamp unfortunately, but I'm prttey pleased with the result.
First image is my original one and the second is the new as a comparison.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 232
Ok, so I instead of just copying the material that you made for the "glass" I studied what you had done (I wanted to make sure I understood what you had done in the node area of things) and replaced my glass maCoolterial and made one like yours. I couldn't get the emissive material to work with my lamp unfortunately, but I'm prttey pleased with the result.
First image is my original one and the second is the new as a comparison.
Cool! What I'd suggest is to turn down the Intensity of your lights a bit: It'll play up the glow, and all you really need is a recognizable contrast between the lit wall and the shadows - no need to blow out the details. It would also add a bit more depth, and let you put more emphasis on the lamp.

Back