FBX import no longer working, OSX 10.15.5

Simon A

I can no longer import FBX files but can export an FBX. The FBX I export then can't be imported into Cheetah. Any ideas? Have re-installed Cheetah 7.4.2 just in case but still does not work. I can open the FBX file in Blender and Adobe Dimension.

The FBX file icon is now greyed out and when dragging the file onto the app icon you get an error pop up saying "Cheetah3D cannot open files in the FBX format"

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-06 at 23.46.38.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-06 at 23.46.38.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 319
Export is fine, import is not working. So I can export a model from Cheetah as an FBX file that will open in other apps but will not then open in Cheetah3D.

Here fbx-import works; so please tell what OS you have, so maybe someone with the same configuration can test it out.

Or Martin (the developer) can have a look at it.

As per my initial post OS 10.15.5. Running on a 15" MacBook Pro Quad Core I7 2.8Ghz with 16 Gb RAM and AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB RAM. I had emailed Martin but not received a reply hence posting on the forum.

Do you possibly have Apples Reality Converter app installed? I ask that since that app has inproperly defined UTIs and therefore messes up file type assignments.

Do you possibly have Apples Reality Converter app installed? I ask that since that app has inproperly defined UTIs and therefore messes up file type assignments.

Yes as I had to convert some files recently to use in Motion 5. So would an uninstall fix the issue or will the registry be permanently changed?

Yes as I had to convert some files recently to use in Motion 5. So would an uninstall fix the issue or will the registry be permanently changed?

Just uninstalled and restarted the Mac but FBX still greyed out. Any suggestions or broken until apple fix (which normally takes months)?

It is semi-permanent. After some time macOS forgets the inproper UTI assignment. There is also a command line tool to start that clean up but I definitely wouldn't recommend it's usage. I did that once and it caused me tons of problems.

The proper approach would be to report that bug to Apple but I've pretty much given up writing bug reports since most of the time Apple simply ignores bug reports. If a bug gets fixed within months you can be really happy.

So I'm thinking about adopting Apples buggy UTIs for FBX and also GLTF. But that would be a really ugly solution so I'm still hesitating.

It is semi-permanent. After some time macOS forgets the inproper UTI assignment. There is also a command line tool to start that clean up but I definitely wouldn't recommend it's usage. I did that once and it caused me tons of problems.

The proper approach would be to report that bug to Apple but I've pretty much given up writing bug reports since most of the time Apple simply ignores bug reports. If a bug gets fixed within months you can be really happy.

So I'm thinking about adopting Apples buggy UTIs for FBX and also GLTF. But that would be a really ugly solution so I'm still hesitating.

So for the time being, convert FBX to other readable formats for Cheetah using Blender and then keep my fingers crossed. Well done apple. Can you think of a more elegant solution for accurately converting FBX files?

‘So I'm thinking about adopting Apples buggy UTIs for FBX and also GLTF. But that would be a really ugly solution so I'm still hesitating.”
I don’t know about this, I personally have lost my faith in Apple. I don’t think they care much about graphic artists or creative musicians.
They seem to be concentrating on selfies and electronic dance music (Loops). My 2 cents.

Hey, sorry about misreading it. In 10.15.6 Catalina I can IMPORT .fbx as well, with no problems on the object.
1599651922278.png

Sometimes on import, depending on the design, the UV maps may or may not be working properly (but that is often the case).

Have you considered updating to OS to 10.15.6?

The latest version of OSX 10.15.6 has restored FBX import into Cheetah.

I'm also on 10.15.6 and I'm still having the problem. Do you still have the Reality Converter installed or did you deinstall it?

I've written a bug report to Apple and hope that they come up with a solution. Since Reality Converter is still in Beta I'm carefully optimistic.

I'm also on 10.15.6 and I'm still having the problem. Do you still have the Reality Converter installed or did you deinstall it?

I've written a bug report to Apple and hope that they come up with a solution. Since Reality Converter is still in Beta I'm carefully optimistic.
I uninstalled it before updating to the latest OS

I can also confirm that deleting RealityConverter immediately solves the problem. Putting it back immediately breaks FBX again. With Reality Converter installed, importing an FBX also hangs Unity 3D. Keeping a zipped copy of Reality converter seems to be ok, so if you need it, keep it zipped, and only unzip it to use it. :p

Last edited:
Re-opening an old thread as I want to input some 3D models into Apple Motion. Was going to create in Cheetah, export as OBJ and convert to USDZ. Had a quick look at Apples Reality Converter and it hasn't updated since I last tried it which killed the FBX functionality in Cheetah. I only managed to return to normal after deleting the app and an OS update.

So does anyone know if Reality Converter is still the kiss of death for FBX in OSX Monterey? Should I just use an online converter and if so any suggestions? The first Google results are Aspose and Vectary.

Back