Am I understanding HDRI correctly

So, I decided to play with HDRI. So far I like it (cool for backgrounds, and of course lighting). Instead of shooting an image, I used Affinity Photo and equarectangular projection. I create the following image (MUCH Larger for Cheetah).

BTW, I love Affinity Photo!

skylight and blinds.png

Is this a valid approach? The results are pretty interesting...

cloche.png

Is this a valid approach to using HDRI? Reflection and shadows are what I want. This is a very nice tool.

This is fine geometrically, but is the source image 8-bits of dynamic range or more? It looks like it's only 8-bits. The HDR part implies much higher range of brightness (a good HDRI can actually cast hard shadows and generate blown-out highlights in reflections).

Whatever works is right, but an hdri file has more than 8 bits.
If Affinity Photo can make a 32 bit radiance file you will get more out of it.
Also if you use the Falcon renderer there is much more you can do.

I just checked and Affinity does have support for full 32-bit radiance. You could try this out by creating a simple panorama with a bright blue sky, dark grey ground, and then dialing up the brightness insanely and drawing a tiny circle for the sun somewhere and try that. (I've done this experiment in Photoshop.) This is kind of a manual version of C3D's "sunlight".

Yes, I saw that. It seems to be an awful lot of work...that is where I started from. My real question is an offshoot of that. Can I create good HDRI maps from a Bitmap Editor like Affinity (or it's more expensive and ugly older sister, Photoshop).

Last edited:
HDRI files can be built in photo editors / painting software. It's important to understand that the high bit format is what creates illumination when applied. But the hard part of creating them is managing the weird distortions or perspective involved.

My favorite abstract workspaces files for HDRI lighting are EXR format files built in Affinity that are simple gradients, 8 pixels wide and 48 pixels tall. these images get stretched over the entire spherical environment and are softened enough by that process to provide a visually smooth texture and smooth lighting - darker below the horizon and brightest directly above. I keep black-to-white, black-to-gray, and light-gray-to-white files at the ready. I lower the intensity and add lights in the file when I need product shots.

There are, however, different layouts for seamless detailed HDRI files:
hdri formats.jpg

It's almost impossible to manually draw/construct a good spherical map HDRI image in a photo editor with any amount of detail unless you can draw in four-point perspective. The closer you get to the top or bottom, the more distorted perspective becomes. The top and bottom rows of pixels literally need to be the same color. Probe layouts are like mirror balls, the entire edge of the probe map has the same issue as Spherical maps, and the less drastic distortions are also difficult to recreate manually. There are applets and plugins that can do this sort of distortion by mapping large sets of carefully shot images onto the interior of a 3D sphere and rendering them as a single HDRI file, but they are usually expensive and meticulous.

What most image editors call a Panorama format works well as long as the camera and camera placement remain almost level with the horizon - but they don't support looking all the way up or down. And if your map isn't directly level with the horizon, you can get really weird visual distortions.

However, there are Cross Pattern HDRIs out there and Cheetah does support them. These are basically the interior faces of a cube. There's still some distortion challenges, since the edges still need to match perfectly, but they are closer to what image editors usually work with than the other layouts.

Attachments

• EXR_files.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 186
As pod already pointed out, you can light a scene with 8bit images; you just don't get enough nuances to have a good lighting.

For a more or less abstract lighting, you can paint the light sources in the app of your choice, but for more detailed things you'd have to learn quite a lot (there are sites specialized on that). The good part is: It's not necessary. There are lot of free, sometimes very good sites like https://hdrihaven.com, where you can find the right hdri for almost any need. There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Back