Texture Painting Program

If you're painting over a UV map then it's already mapped, so you just stick the picture in an image node of a material and drag the material onto the mesh(es).

For painting today, I'd pick Substance Painter (sigh — they've been bought by Adobe…)

I got it working. My god, once it is understood, this is very simple. It just seems odd that there isn't an easy to find tutorial that explains the process of exporting the map as PDF, editing it in painting program and importing it back in AS A TEXTURE. It makes perfect sense, and I assume everyone here KNOWS it, but I generally have never had to use complex mapping till now... and it is a pleasure.

I think the best option is to:
a) unwrap the model
b) create an image, put it on the model, and paint a really rough texture (in C3D) on it so you can tell what is what
c) export the UV map and put that in as an overlay on the rough texture
d) do the texture properly
e) replace the rough texture with the nice one

Otherwise you're going to have to constantly go back and forth to figure out what you're painting.

Just wondering, for those who paint textures, what program do you use? ZBrush, Blender, 3DCoat, etc.

Thanks!
Bob
Hey Bob,
I use 3D-Coat when I want to paint directly on models (I also sometimes sculpt, retopo, UV there).
I also have Substance Painter - they got me with a sale on the subscription...

Do you use any of the software you mentioned? What do you think?

--Shift Studio.

Without a doubt, substance painter is the best solution.

I myself still mostly use Photoshop, then Modo. But what's forgotten here is Quixel Mixer. It's free, and they want to make it as good as substance painter (although with the intend to sell their scans; and at the moment Quixel is no match for substance, but well worth a try).

Edit: Completely forgot: Very often I use Illustrator

Last edited:
Hey Bob,
I use 3D-Coat when I want to paint directly on models (I also sometimes sculpt, retopo, UV there).
I also have Substance Painter - they got me with a sale on the subscription...

Do you use any of the software you mentioned? What do you think?

--Shift Studio.
ZBrush scares the bejesus out of me, so I've never attempted it. I've used 3DCoat, but not extensively. Blender, as with other features in that program, looks complicated, whereas a lot of the others are open model, paint.

I don't think I'd sculpt much, bt would want to paint displacement, or more likely, normal maps. I'd like something where you can "get to the good stuff" without jumping through a lot of hoops forst.

Bob

Blender 2.8 has gotten to the point where painting is no more complex that in C3D, and it has a lot more features. This guy seems to produce new tutorials whenever Blender gets updated.

ZBrush scares the bejesus out of me, so I've never attempted it. I've used 3DCoat, but not extensively. Blender, as with other features in that program, looks complicated, whereas a lot of the others are open model, paint.

I don't think I'd sculpt much, bt would want to paint displacement, or more likely, normal maps. I'd like something where you can "get to the good stuff" without jumping through a lot of hoops forst.

Bob

I worked with a trial version of ZBrush for one project (because that's where the main asset came from). Nothing came easy as its interface and workflow is just counter-intuitive to me.
Substance Painter seems powerful and logical etc. But when I need to get something done, 3D Coat is my go-to, as I already know it.
So, if you want to get to the 'good stuff' quick, 3D coat only requires that the model is UV mapped. And if you don't care about messy UV islands, it has an 'auto UV mapping'. So you can just pick your brush, pick your material and get to painting.
btw I've tried Blender for a few things, but not painting. I'm a big fan of its capabilities but also feel challenged to get much done when I'm there.

-- shift studio.

Back